Ryan

can an e21 323i radiator be used if I delete the fan?

9 posts / 2534 viewsLast Reply

I have a good used radiator from a e21 323i. Its is quite a bit fatter than the one, I have leaking, in the 02. I have heard of people removing the fan. how does the 02 do w/out a fan? will the larger rad. be able to cool it down enough? i will have to find some custom hoses, but...just an idea i was thinking. if only i could find that nice 320is w/perfect recaros that someone need towing away.

Ryan

no fan...no long running engine...

peeps replace their fan with an electric ones outside the radiator support

hoses are the same as the o2 with the exception of the lower hose which is a stock, off the shelf 320 hose

tease....3202.jpg

I have a good used radiator from a e21 323i. Its is quite a bit fatter than the one, I have leaking, in the 02. I have heard of people removing the fan. how does the 02 do w/out a fan? will the larger rad. be able to cool it down enough? i will have to find some custom hoses, but...just an idea i was thinking. if only i could find that nice 320is w/perfect recaros that someone need towing away.

Ryan

ryan,

i'm using a crappy Hayden fan and it's worked fine for me for over a year now. Even with a Mack truck radiator you'll still overheat if you're stopped in traffic. You MUST run an electric pusher/puller fan if you delete your belt driven fan. You can buy a decent fan at an autoparts store for about $60 OR i believe TobyB just posted not too long ago that a Mazda something fan will work... here it is:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/p,340539/highlight,/#340539

"for the cheap-a$$ faquers out there who aren't running a fan"

SO go get yourself a $5 fan from the pik 'n pull and then go to www dot zeebuck dot com (Zennon's Site) and read up on how to install a proper transistor into the relay so you don't burn them out and install your pusher fan/delete your belt fan. Regardless of wheter or not you actually get any gains by deleting it (HP and fuel economy wise) You will notice that it's quieter and easier to work on in there. I used some allum. flat and angle stock and rivets to build some sturdy brackets for my fan. Whatever you do DO NOT use those KRAPPY zip tie things to attach the fan directly to the radiator. about 1/4 to 1/2" of space is acceptable.

If the radiator is too fat it still won't fit whether the fan is there or not. It will just hit the water pump pulley instead of the fan...Use a radiator from a 320i or a three row OEM version from Ingraham for better cooling that will fit right in. And you can not just delete the fan if you add a larger radiator...the car will overheat while stopped or moving slow.

cool...thanks for all the answers. i figured it would not work. it was just a thought. not quite a plan. i need a rad. and i have this one, but...i guess i need to get an 02 rad or a 320i rad. I thought i had a lead on one, but i havent heard anything from him. I was hoping to get one close to home so I could pick it up. Shipping a rad. kinda scares me. oh well...something will show up. I want to drive my 02.

Ryan

You can also use a 318 rad from an e30.

I picked up a new one off ebay for....$110 shipped.

There are a few more mods you need to do but my 02 loves it

I have a stock one that came off my 73tii that i will sell you for 25+ shipping from Louisiana

of a used radiator, and all radiators deteriorate with age and use. Get a new one, or get yours recored, or don't pay more than $25 for a used one.