• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Win a BMW CCA Concours Event

Otis

Okay, I stand corrected. It turns out, there is plenty of guidance on how to clean. Not only that, but how to dispose of things, once you finish cleaning. Silly me -- I simply had to Google, "The Anal Retentive Chef." Here's what the Chef advises (I took the liberty of substituting "mats" for "food" where it appeared in the original SNL transcript):

"So, how do we clean? We take our bucket ... but, we don't want to get any caustic substances on the mats, of course. [places mats behind him] Place these neatly in the background - this floor will be cleaned later.

Okay, so we're ready to clean. [pulls up mop bucket] We've got our glove, to protect us - we don't want to ruin our manicure. And we've got a clean white cloth, and abrasive cleanser - none of that non-abrasive cleanser for us, it's good old-fashioned cleanser. That'll get us started, I think I'll clean these cabinets while I'm at it. And, oh! Look at this. Aluminum foil is filthy! I'm going to have to replace that. So, we might as well pull that up right now. I don't when I cleaned that up last, I'd hate to think. And, God knows what those mopboards look like. But! We start at the top, and clean down, so as not to drip ...

And how do we throw things out? Okay. We take our paper towel, two pieces, unbroken, lay it out neatly, dump the refuse inside, arranged neatly ... [assembles the garbage] ... let's take these little nasties we separated earlier, put that back ... fold over carefully, making sure the corners are square ... and ... we take a piece of aluminum foil, and we place our refuse onto the foil, and fold over very carefully - this way, it won't leak onto the other garbage. Aluminum foil is such a miracle product! It's really an extraordinary product. Alright, and then we take a brown, paper sandwich bag ... [opens bag] ...place the refuse inside ... [drops it in] ...and ... oh no, this bag is torn.. [looks around] Well ... no, that's alright. We'll just fold over, and no one will see. We'll fold it over twice to be careful ... then we get our tape. [grabs tape, which is naturally covered in a cozy] And, we tape it shut - be very careful to center the tape on the bag. I like to keep my tape dispenser right here on the counter. There we go! [holds up bag] All ready for the trash. Now that's some garbage you can live with! [laughs]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...it might be useful if the club would offer some seminar on detailing -- something to teach those who want to learn.

I recall the local PCA having such a seminar, and inviting BMWCCAers - it was more of a sales pitch for the facility where the event was held.

The local MBCA club has held a pre-concours "what the judges are looking for" event, but I don't know if it's held annually.

There are some that do all their own work, and others that send the car out to be prepped professionally. If you don't have grease under your nails and at least one Band-aid, you should be embarrased!

I'm always looking for better products & methods. Maybe we can look into this for early next year - remind me to remind you!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

John - A capital idea and, in my clumsy round-about way, the ultimate point.

Personally, I don't care about the trophies, or winning, or the like -- but I do like to take care of my cars. I tried paying $145 to an auto detailer - but quite frankly, he didn't do that great of a job (he used a buffing machine, which left swirl marks). And I agree with you about the sales pitch -- even the Zymol guy's presentation is a bit of a sales pitch, but honestly, he's so low key and friendly, that you don't really notice that you're being sold on Zymol.

The chapter really could benefit from "those in the know," on how to clean and prep their cars. In the NCC, we have multiple, repeat, consistent winners, who obviously (by their track records) know exactly what to do. You're one of them (in fact, you're at the top of the heap, as a multiple Best of Marky Mark); so is Doug (and David, his brother), and John (CS Coupe), also, etc. etc. And we have a few past judges in our midst. We've already lost the Shenandoah event (too bad, since it had great food), so if we're looking for something to replace it, why not a DIY seminar/event -- bring your car and your wax, and then a few of you "experts" can tell the rest of us hacks, exactly what we're doing right, and doing wrong. "Winner" (or "best effort") gets a detailing bucket, or something (maybe a golden plunger, Le Marque Ploingee). I'd come; not necessarily because I want to enter and win some contest, but simply because (1) I'd like to learn the right way to make my ride look nice, and (2) I like smoked salmon.

So yes, I will remind you. But I think you've hit upon the right point, and the right idea.