robsanab

upper bright molding decision

5 posts / 1048 viewsLast Reply

I've read a lot of discussion here regarding how to clean and polish the upper bright moldings... sounds like a pain with varying levels of success. My molding has few dents... they are mainly just scratched and very dull. It is on a white daily driver. I am not a big shiny chrome kind of guy... I prefer painted silver and satin finishes typically.

So, what I'm getting at is that I would like to save money by not buying new molding (last time I priced it out it was like $500 plus). Rather, I'd like to take a light wire brush on a grinder/polisher maybe and run the molding through it length wise giving it a satin finish ... kind of like the stainless steel appliances that are all the rage these days.... bright and metallic only not shiny or polished.

Questions:

1) Would this work?

2) What tool would you use to accomplish this?

3) Is there a quality coating to put on it afterwards in order to prevent oxidation?

Guest Anonymous

I had deal with the same isue on my car. The molding was slightly oxidized and I just wanted to make it look a little better. I just used a regular cotton buffing wheel that you can get at most hardware stores. For compound I used turtlwax chrome polish. Work well- shinde it up and was fairly quik to do- also very cheap

I've read a lot of discussion here regarding how to clean and polish the upper bright moldings... sounds like a pain with varying levels of success. My molding has few dents... they are mainly just scratched and very dull. It is on a white daily driver. I am not a big shiny chrome kind of guy... I prefer painted silver and satin finishes typically.

So, what I'm getting at is that I would like to save money by not buying new molding (last time I priced it out it was like $500 plus). Rather, I'd like to take a light wire brush on a grinder/polisher maybe and run the molding through it length wise giving it a satin finish ... kind of like the stainless steel appliances that are all the rage these days.... bright and metallic only not shiny or polished.

Questions:

1) Would this work?

2) What tool would you use to accomplish this?

3) Is there a quality coating to put on it afterwards in order to prevent oxidation?

i wouldn't use either tool unless you want to blast thru the very soft & thin aluminum...(ask me how i know)..... the best method is to sand, starting with 320 grit paper working up in grit to the degree of a satin shine you want....

por sells a product, the only one that will stay put on aluminum called Glisten-PC

hmmm, sanding... i could even make a block out of something in order to block sand the molding while it's on the car... since I'll be doing this just before taking it off for painting anyway. That may prove to be as easy or easier than using a bench grinder with a buff wheel. Sanding it off the car might get to be a pain due to difficult handling and the chance of bending it.

and that POR stuff looks pretty good for other applications as well... may give it a try... and try it on my shiny car too.

thanks for the ideas!

Easy Off will strip the finish off the aluminum. Spray it on (make sure trim has been removed from vehicle)and let it sit until it starts to turn black. Then wipe it off and clean up any leftover residue with fine steel wool. Then use a metal polish to brighten it up. I just did this on my bumper and they look great.

Sorry I did not read the satin finish comment. This will make your trim look like chrome.