• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stomped!! Why does my fan hit the Radiator...anyone had this

Rick02

My best guess is its body sag. I had this problem before i rebuilt the motor and after. the fan is seated properly as is the water pump. The radiator is WAY flush to the valanve. I did some southern engineering with a BFH and got it as close as possible. I've tried 2 different alternators, 2 fans, and 3 radiators. Each seemed to make a difference in a different way.

I don't want to sound like a dick but are you serious about the body sag? How much sag are you getting? WHOA! that's scary!!! Time to re-do your rockers I suppose... and your firewall, floors & the rest of the car it seems. I have a L - O - T of rust on my DD and when I've measured sag it's very minor. Are you saying that your whole chasis torques when you open the throttle?

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

No. The car is rust free. We all know how much these things can sag though. Ever have it up on jack stands and try to close the doors? The other question is whether ot not the nose has been replaced. It doesnt look like it has, but you never know.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

It would be the passengers side engine mount motion limiter. Is it set correctly? Is the limiter there or gone?

That's got to be it! I was looking at a friend's car (that's not on the road yet) and I was telling him that has to be there or else.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Body sag, rear cross member, load of bollocks.

Is it the fan touching the rad? how do you know?

Good point... I betcha it's like Curt said and it's the fan hitting the alternator post, or maybe the alternator pivot bolt has come loose, or something.

Do you have a HUGE round circle on your radiator? Do you have a cut in the back (engine side of your fan) even with anything (like the bolts or shaft of the alternator).... Show us exactly where it's hitting with a pic and we'll see then

E36 

That's what I meant to say, it could be hitting the alternator, as was the case in my prior 1974 2002. If you're still digging into it, very carefully with hands away from the fan and v-belt, grasp the alternator at the top and see if pulling it back a bit gets rid of the noise. If so, it's a worn alternator bushing.

Tim

'69 2000

It's just the mount... nothing more. As the motor torques or turns upon acceleration it wants to rotate in the engine compartment. The mounts "limit" this movement. OEM BMW rubber mounts are cheap... just replace them both and get an E21 transmission mount and do all 3 at the same time. You'll notice a huge difference. Have you looked at the fan hitting the alternator as an option yet? If the fan is hitting your radiator it will only be a matter of time till it destroys the radiator. It should very clearly leave a circle where it's hitting... is this the case?

E36 

Guest Anonymous

for me, yes it is hitting the radiator and I have not looked at the alternator rubber mount yet but plan to do so soon. I also will check the set-up of my radiator to see if it is set up correctly. I have replaced all motor and tranny mounts. I might as well replace the rear end mounts also eventually - I am doing the front end and engine work before I go on to other sections of the car. Thanks for enlightening me on the 'limiter'. On my 83 320i it has a mini shock absorber on one side of the motor along with two rubber mounts and I thought that maybe there would be something like this with my 76 2002 that I was missing.

Hi. you can learn from my misfortunes :-)

have you checked that your radiator mounting bolts are not loose?

mine became loose once on a side, and the fan ate the radiator -

one of Curt's unfortunately too ......

Also, the side plates can become detached...... allowing the radiator

to pop out..... Solder holding it to the tanks failed.

this happened to me before too.

Finally, a warped radiator support as a consequence of a prior accident

could do it too. my first 02 (and car)

had this... was sold to me as "accident free" before I knew better.

one side of the radiator support was pushed in I found later.

might of been a factor in side plates being detached later. due to

warpage.

if your engine mount is broken, the engine can move quite a bit.

the front subframe is prone to cracking.....

that would do it also. This hasn't happened to me yet.... cross my fingers!

- o2cabrio

'72 02 tii

'71 02 vollcabrio

'68 1600 vollcabrio