• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stomped!! Why does my fan hit the Radiator...anyone had this

Rick02

Okay....so i went on a 200 mile drive....and on the way back i started to hear some noises...

only on acceleration... it seens to tuch some of the radiators fins...

i have a 320i radiator...it is not loose....

i checked the motor mounts...they are good...check trans mount...good...

Is the engine creeping foward?

did the fan stretch???

What happened...

any one ever have this problem...

thanks

EDIT: Hit send instead of attach...

I'd bet it's your motor mounts rather than the fan... OR maybe and this is a stretch... your rear subframe mounts - if they are loose or shot they could allow the rear subframe to "drive forward" which would push the driveshaft forward into the tranny.... and move the fan forward. (That's a stretch)

What fan do you have installed? If you have the larger sahara fan that can bend forward upon higher RPMs I suppose... How do you have your radiator mounted? Seems like it's too close....

HTH,

TJW

post-377-13667568898123_thumb.png

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

When i look at the engine and fan...they seem to be in a bit of an angle....if both mount are okay...what could cause the engine to have a bit of an angle...the angle makes it look like there is no rear trans mount bushing...

i have a friend with a 320i....i might borrow his fan to see if i clears the problem

if it was the rear subframe mounts....the trans mount would keep it from creeping forward...right??

It would be the passengers side engine mount motion limiter. Is it set correctly? Is the limiter there or gone?

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

the E21 fan is the larger one... don't do that because it's going to be louder. Why don't you guys all ditch your fans and run electric fans? It's like a night and day difference. Quieter, more room, less things spinning to take off fingers while you work under the hood...

As for the other comments.

2002's don't have fan clutches - or at least we're not supposed to....

If your rear subframe mounts are so trashed that you could get a 1/2" of movement out of the motor and trans, I'd be willing to bet that your engine and trans mounts are also trashed.

Start looking at your mounts. Move the motor and see how spongey they are. The rear mounts on the trans and the one down under the exhaust get really bad. I'd bet that's your problem. Check the subframe too though.

ditch the fan and install a pusher from any number of aftermarket sources. Look at Zennon's site on how to wire up the relay with the correct resistor so you don't just burn things out over and over...

E36 

While my first guess wold be the mounts I had a problem with the alternator bushings. Is it hitting on the alternator side? I tied mine back until I got the poly bushings which solved the problem. The problem occurred with new factory rubber bushings.

While my first guess wold be the mounts I had a problem with the alternator bushings. Is it hitting on the alternator side? I tied mine back until I got the poly bushings which solved the problem. The problem occurred with new factory rubber bushings.

Timmer & Jack,

How could bad alternator bushings ever cause your fan to hit the radiator??? They are two totally seperate things????

E36 

How do bad alternator bushings make the fan hit the radiator? I can't figure that one out. what if we have the wrong type of water pump? Mine also looks like its at a bit of an angle. I tried a 400 mm fan and a 360mm fan. the 400 actually hit less. I also have new poly motor mounts and tranny mount - so thats def. not the problem. On my 69 theres like 1 1/2 inches space between the fan and the rad and it has a 320i radiator! my 74 has like 1/8 inch and its a stock radiator.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

How do bad alternator bushings make the fan hit the radiator? I can't figure that one out. what if we have the wrong type of water pump? Mine also looks like its at a bit of an angle. I tried a 400 mm fan and a 360mm fan. the 400 actually hit less. I also have new poly motor mounts and tranny mount - so thats def. not the problem. On my 69 theres like 1 1/2 inches space between the fan and the rad and it has a 320i radiator! my 74 has like 1/8 inch and its a stock radiator.

Wait a sec. Are you sure the radiator is mounted correctly? Is it completely flush to the front valance/ If you have an angle check the fan. I know that when I used to have a fan on my car at times it would *POP* off. As if it were stuck or pressed on. If you don't have a leak or antifreeze POURING out of your block then your water pump is fine. I'd bet that the two of you just have some crap between the fan & the pulley drive or the pulley drive and the water pump flange. There's no way that some type of witchcraft voo-doo alternator bushings could change that.

And if your fan is on an angle it's got to be the only way. Measure the distance from the water pump flange to the radiator then take a look at how thick the fan & belt drive are (not too thick) I'd bet that there's a washer or something under there and because the fan blade extends out it's leveraged out because of the distance and you're hitting....

WHOA! betcha that fan sounds great off balance & hitting the radiator!!

E36 

My best guess is its body sag. I had this problem before i rebuilt the motor and after. the fan is seated properly as is the water pump. The radiator is WAY flush to the valanve. I did some southern engineering with a BFH and got it as close as possible. I've tried 2 different alternators, 2 fans, and 3 radiators. Each seemed to make a difference in a different way.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i