robspeed

MYTHBUSTERS: the 02 edition...

48 posts / 2612 viewsLast Reply

the thing about bilsteins' lengths in sport vs. HDs (only the back sports are shorter, by a mere 10mm) made me think of other "myths" that abound about these cars, or mechanical stuff in general. Can you think of any that need to be BUSTED!? :)

the thing about bilsteins' lengths in sport vs. HDs (only the back sports are shorter, by a mere 10mm) made me think of other "myths" that abound about these cars, or mechanical stuff in general. Can you think of any that need to be BUSTED!? :)

Yeah...

That squarelights are better than roundies!

;-p

Ray (white cars are da bestest!)

(nt)

good one! even the turbo used the same cam! at least i think i remember it that way... i think i read that in macartney... ;)

That E-28 or E-30 m3 starter motors will work better that stock ' 02 starters. Even w/ 9.5:1 pistons my car starts in 0.3 to 0.5 seconds. Why would a faster turning starter motor help this? Just keep your car tuned and adjusted correctly and the car will start fine w/ OEM starter.

But isn't the E30 M3 starter lighter than the 2002 starter? I thought it was both more torqey and lighter..... but I suppose this is an excellent place to discuss.

Not sure about the weight but I'm sure that anyone who has a dead or dying starter and then replaces it with anything new will feel like it's BIGGER, BETTER STRONGER FASTER LIGHTER......

That E-28 or E-30 m3 starter motors will work better that stock ' 02 starters. Even w/ 9.5:1 pistons my car starts in 0.3 to 0.5 seconds. Why would a faster turning starter motor help this? Just keep your car tuned and adjusted correctly and the car will start fine w/ OEM starter.

not to hijack my own thread, but i like to turn mine over a few times before turning on the coil (obviously i have it switched seperately) just to build a lil pressure before firing. the yellow devil (lamborghini diablo) actually has a short delay (maybe a second or so) programmed into it before it actually fires, and i think its for the same reason. just so its clear, the delay start has been a practice of mine long before i had ever heard a lambo start up!! ;)

http://www.jennaishealed.org/rob/whirr_vroom.wmv

note cooper giving launch instructions... ;-p

that's random... do you really delay your coil? does it work/matter? I see the point and find that interesting....

that's random... do you really delay your coil? does it work/matter? I see the point and find that interesting....

yah, i think it helps. just to get some pressure in the bearings before they are hit with a combustion load. startup accounts for 90% of main bearing wear normally... ;)

What about the snorkle item with the tii's and non tii's

Who is really supposed to have them? is it a year thing or strictly a tii thing? Or has so many been converted (carby to tii) that no one really knows for sure?

yah, i think it helps. just to get some pressure in the bearings before they are hit with a combustion load. startup accounts for 90% of main bearing wear normally... ;)

It would be interesting to build a timed relay circuit... one of the electronics knowledgable posters could probably come up with something without too much trouble. (Although perhaps the risk of reliability troubles might kill the appeal of this idea.)

...and sometimes they won't. Same battery, different starter = no fear of shutting off car at the gas station. That's why there's a need for an gear reduction starter like the M3's - I'd assume this would be the same for carbed high compression '02s?