Guest Anonymous

round, red tell-tale

12 posts / 946 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

hi, i just got a '69 2002 automatic, running great but there is a round red tell-tale between the main instruments, on the panel, that is glowing intermitently. i've looked in my manuals and can't find what this is for. any ideas?

thank you, chuck

Chuch,

It could be the alternator light but I thought the early roundtails had the "L" ( "Ladung", for the charge light), I believe the 1970 2002 automatic I had, middle 1980's did. It could also be the oil pressure, my 1969 2000 has a small, push in type tell tale button, between the gauges. When pushed in, it glows red. Check the oil pressure switch/sender, see if there is any oil leaking from it, they tend to leak from the top of the switch, at the spade connector, very rarely where it threads to the cylinder head.

Tim

'69 2000

I thought pre '70 cars did not have that feature?

Anyway, the red light between temp/fuel and speedo is an alarm for:-

Fuel tank reserve

Handbrake "on" (swithch could be faulty or needs adjusting)

Brake fluid low

Choke "out" (not on automatic)

Interesting Les,

On my 1969 2000 and the prior NK, 1968 2000ti, with the manual choke out, there is a white light, also, when the fuel gets very low, that white light goes on. On the 2000, between the guages, is that small red button, size of a pencil eraser or so. When pushed in, it lights red, that could be for brake fluid after all ( now I'm going to double check the owner's manual for the 2000 when I get home later today ) as the orange light at the gauge is oil and glowed prior to the cylinder head crack some 4 years ago. That's when I pulled in my driveway and the oil had the milkshake appearance and I then found out the cylinder head was cracked and shortly thereafter, decided to go with the complete engine rebuild.

Tim

'69 2000

Guest Anonymous

thanks for quick feedback. i am pretty sure there is an "L" light in combo instrument. the alt. was checked, and the PO put in several other guages: one being oil pressure, an ampmeeter and a temp guage - all are working.

thanks again, chuck

Guest Anonymous

I have a 69 2002. The red light that is located to the lower left of the tach is the BRAKE FLUID LOW warning light.

Check your brake fluid reservoir.

a low brake fluid condition only. On later cars it was also the "emergency brake on" warning (74-76), on 76s only a warning that the pressure on one side of the braking system was lower than the others, and on Euro cars, it was also a "choke on" warning light.

There's an itty-bitty button next to the light that's a "push to test" switch for the light.

US '02s don't have low fuel warning lights...ya gotta watch the gauge.

BTW, if you fill the fluid reservoir and the light doesn't go out, carefully inspect the float inthe reservoir..it may be leaking and thus not pressing against the switch in the cap.

cheers

mike

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the answers, i did check the brake fluid res and it was about minimum. i'll refill and check the float.

regards, chuck

I still have the Owner's Manual/Handbook for the first '02 I owned, albeit it is in German. The book was printed Oct '70 and the gauge cluster does not show a red light between the Speedo & fuel/temp gauges, neither is there any mention of it. Maybe Euro (German) '02s did not have this feature then. Another handbook (Euro in English printed ?/'72) shows the red light and the list I posted earlier is from that - with the exception of brake fluid level which I do not think was a feature for Euro cars (my '74 Touring does not have that).

Les,

Same here..I took a half day today as it was a slow day at work and today is the nicest day of the week, low 80's, sunny and breezy; took the '69 2000 out for a drive and also noticed in my 1969 2000 owner's manual that it does not show the little red warning light with the photo and explanation of gauges, knobs, etc... When pushed in, it illuminates red, must be to test it..it will flicker when brake fluid is low.

Tim

'69 2000

that's wired to the float switch in the brake/clutch fluid reservoir.

It also goes on when you jump FIA curbing...

t