• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to start a car

esty

I haven't followed the bulk of this discussion

thanks mr....BTW where the heck are you now....hubby & i have been following your travels closley...we've made the east coast west coast trip a 1/2 doz times in an 02 but that was back in the day when we were too young and stupid to worry about such impossible things as breaking down...we did once, lose a fanbelt just west of phoenix heading to LA but were able to hobble to the next place to buy one by using a leather bootlace & pantyhose

good luck wherever you are

oh...and BTW...i'm determined to use this f'ing switch i bought

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess KFunk's taking everything back to the beginning of the thread. Wire exactly as your diagram is only if you want to be real slick and not force-stall your car, just add another switch between the coil and the battery for shut off. You've got the idea though. B-4 you start open and close the points and check for spark. If yes then fire her up, if no then something isn't wired correctly. You do have a working, correct, functional diagram, I was just hoping that someone else in the peanut gallery would chime in and confirm. KFunk, i meant no disrespect... read up the thread and we've already been down the screwdriver road. I just thank ToddK's friend "Ignition Tom" for teaching me all this stuff!

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I guess KFunk's taking everything back to the beginning of the thread. Wire exactly as your diagram is only if you want to be real slick and not force-stall your car, just add another switch between the coil and the battery for shut off. You've got the idea though. B-4 you start open and close the points and check for spark. If yes then fire her up, if no then something isn't wired correctly. You do have a working, correct, functional diagram, I was just hoping that someone else in the peanut gallery would chime in and confirm. KFunk, i meant no disrespect... read up the thread and we've already been down the screwdriver road. I just thank ToddK's friend "Ignition Tom" for teaching me all this stuff!

currently it's wired and ready to rock with the installation of a battery hook-up....i have allegator clips to the coil, so i can kill it simply by upclipping the wire to the coil instead of adding another off/on switch.....correct?

so i can kill it simply by upclipping the wire to the coil instead of adding another off/on switch.....correct?

YES - however they call it "HOTWIRE" for a reason so be careful because that wire from the battery laying over the engine can and will get hot. Use a rag or something other than bare hands to unclip from the coil/battery. Sounds like you got it right though. All you need is a slim jim & an ignition lock breaker and you're ready for grand theft auto.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

no offense taken, as I don't like jumping into a conversation without have the time to read everything. But I do like helping find the easier (aka redneck) way of bypassing problems, in case they haven't been mentioned.

Esty, I'm currently in Ohio trying to work the right connections for a teaching job. Plus I've gotta figure out how to weld my miata back together, as theres not much left of that car, so much rust that I'd be embarrassed to take pics. I knocked off the loose stuff and spray painted it for now, and need to find a source for POR-15 and determine how structural the damage is...

Plus we have a Jeep wrangler apart in the garage with the head off of it, after discovering the water pump impeller was in it backwards.

And I'm trying to get my 02 to start without the screwdriver, as I just learned why you don't want to dissect a solenoid for the first time in a Motel 6 parking lot in Las Vegas.

good luck with rolling the car around.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

ok.....i got her to run...there is one snag in my wiring, that is, when you release the key, the starter soesn't stop spinning....i reckon cause the connections hot all the time...i tried mr K-Funks method and cut the wire from the starter then just touched it to the battery

i'm not sure if it's my makeshift battery connections or a slow starter but it's turning really slow...but did catch and start once and ran for about 20 seconds

now that i have the combo correct, i'll get some cables and a fresh battery and see ow she purrs

thanks all you guys that had the patience of job with me...i couldn't have done it without your help

sorry again if this has been covered, but what kind of switch are you using?

You need a momentary switch to trigger the starter, and not one that just goes OFF-ON. You just want one that turns on while you're holding the button.

Usually it says if its momentary on the package, and its signified this way "OFF-(ON)", whereas the parentheses indicate its a momentary connection in the on position.

In any case, you can still start the car with a normal toggle switch, just turn it back off once the car is started.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

sorry again if this has been covered, but what kind of switch are you using?

You need a momentary switch to trigger the starter, and not one that just goes OFF-ON. You just want one that turns on while you're holding the button.

Usually it says if its momentary on the package, and its signified this way "OFF-(ON)", whereas the parentheses indicate its a momentary connection in the on position.

In any case, you can still start the car with a normal toggle switch, just turn it back off once the car is started.

i'm pretty certain i bought the right kind of switch but i'm not too sure i have it wired correctly

and again....thanks...