• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEI seen this gasket for early grills

BillWilliams

I am not implying this is correct but BMW supplied a few cars for display at the Concours de Grayln in Winston Salem, NC this past weekend. One of the cars was a 72tii. Stretched around the grills were these black plastic gasket things. It looked like the gaskets that go between the overriders and the front bumpers.

It looked like a fairly good idea to keep the grills from scratching the body and to fill the gap that is usually there.

P1010036-1.jpg

Was this ever put on a car from the factory or is this someones creative idea?

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I don't think that's factory, but a somewhat good idea.....I've used colored tape on the back of the metal grill to help cut down on scratching the paint.

I don't like the look of the rubbery gasket personally next to the paint...takes away from the "vintage" look of the grills.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I don't know the answer, and as you know, I never keep things stock. But question -- if it isn't stock, don't the judges go crazy and deduct all sorts of points (and suffer heart attacks and gastrointestinal disorders, etc.) whenver someone has the audacity for adding something non-stock to the vehicle (despite its practicality)?

My brother enters all of the coucours events with his bathtub Porsche, which he keeps in a plastic bubble when it's not being trailered to a show. To each his own, I guess. He frets over things like whether the Phillips head slots line up perfectly on all of the upholstery trim. To quote the Church Lady, "Well, isn't that special?"

Again, to each his own. But maybe that's why I'm not fond of the concours events - my cars don't fit that mold. I like to drive 'em until they break, and then fix them again. In 2005, however, more curious than anything else, I entered a clean-car event (mostly just to have an excuse to clean the car). The 24-year old judge (half my age!!!!) deducted all sorts of points for the "trunk" (how dare I put amps and subs in there?), the door panels (I lost points for not having a "map pocket," which I long ago replaced with custom stereo speaker pods), and for putting the spare tire in a cover, instead of keeping it in the spare tire well. The judge for the E-30 actually grimaced as he looked in the trunk -- I thought he was going to throw up.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, Bill. I don't know the answer to your question, so I'll shut up now.

weatherstrip_165.jpg

It looks like weatherstripping used on E9 coupes along the lower edges of horizontal chrome along the windows (where it meets the body). It was also used along the sharp edge of CSL chrome fender arches.

It's very inexpensive and sold in 12 or so foot rolls. I seem to recall it was about 10 bucks. P/N 54 12 9 734 126.

Edit: Bill, email me your address and I'll send you a piece to check out -- or I can just bring some to Herndon if you're going.

post-274-1366756886223_thumb.jpg

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

Funny story: I was at the Lime Rock concours thing a couple of years ago and happened to be scoping out the E9 coupes while the judges were hemming and hawing over them. While looking at Doug Dolan's E9 with an S38 (M5 motor) conversion, I heard one of them remark, "this must have been the M version." I had to turn around and snort in the opposite direction. I mean, Doug's coupe is really convincing, but come on..

A few minutes later, while going over a Golf CSL, one of them asserted, "that steering wheel isn't original. It must be out of a Jag or something." This was a standard CSL issue, three-hole-per-spoke wheel that anyone who has even looked at old BMWs before would know. I had to pipe up in defense of the owner. Who knows what other idiocies these yahoos dreamt up.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

That's a great story, and I guess that's exactly my point. I love Doug - a true gentleman, as is his brother - and his car is (excuse me, their cars are) great. I even helped refer Doug to some stereo guys, who did a really nice job adding tunes to the Coupe. He also brings along his Z8 to the clean-car events, and he always wins a trophy with that car. But his Coupe is a Korman conversion. And most everyone knows that -- and Doug doesn't try to hide it (he has a Korman sticker in the engine compartment). Yet, Doug regularly wipes the competition clean in the local events -- I've never seen him NOT at least place, and no one deducts any points for the engine swap.

So, I guess it's okay to totally swap out the engine -- but it's not okay to add some tunes to your car. And mind you, as those who have seen the system (see other posts) know, it's not like I went out and slapped something together with Crutchfield mail-order parts -- Otis' system took over two years to design and build. But, the point total sinks like a stone -- go figure. I wonder what would happen if I added the Corvette engine to the 323 (see my other post/query), but left out the stereo. Then again, what am I thinking, and why do I care?

Perhaps that's why I love Izzy the Isetta. Any patina trophy that is up for grabs, is MINE!!!

That's a great story, and I guess that's exactly my point. I love Doug - a true gentleman, as is his brother - and his car is (excuse me, their cars are) great. I even helped refer Doug to some stereo guys, who did a really nice job adding tunes to the Coupe. He also brings along his Z8 to the clean-car events, and he always wins a trophy with that car. But his Coupe is a Korman conversion. And most everyone knows that -- and Doug doesn't try to hide it (he has a Korman sticker in the engine compartment). Yet, Doug regularly wipes the competition clean in the local events -- I've never seen him NOT at least place, and no one deducts any points for the engine swap.

So, I guess it's okay to totally swap out the engine -- but it's not okay to add some tunes to your car. And mind you, as those who have seen the system (see other posts) know, it's not like I went out and slapped something together with Crutchfield mail-order parts -- Otis' system took over two years to design and build. But, the point total sinks like a stone -- go figure. I wonder what would happen if I added the Corvette engine to the 323 (see my other post/query), but left out the stereo. Then again, what am I thinking, and why do I care?

Perhaps that's why I love Izzy the Isetta. Any patina trophy that is up for grabs, is MINE!!!

Otis,

Any chance you could send me some shots of the interior speakers and HU in the car? I've only seen your boot install. It really looks like an excellent job. Congratulations on it :-)

Email(to not highjack the thread) cmorriso(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au

Cheers,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

a bit of explanation is in order:

A concours by definition (usually--every club/organizatio has its own standards, it seems) is all about cleanliness and condition, NOT (necessarily) authenticity. Thus, a modified car that is squeaky clean and in as new condition can "win" over a completely stock car that isn't quite as clean or in as good condition.

At a "regular" judged antique car show, authenticity plays a much larger role, and in some clubs, the wrong head on a screw (or the wrong material) or glossy paint on the inner wheel arches vs semi-gloss can cost you a trophy. Sure, these cars have to be clean and in good condition, but authenticity is the byword.

BMW CCA Ofest Concours are the former; antique car shows like the AACA Fall Meet at Hershey are the latter. Big time "concourses" like Pebble Beach & Amelia Island fall somewhere in between.

And yeah, I have my share of stories too, both as a judge and a competitor...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Headed up in my wrecked and rusted '74.

Haven't stopped driving it long enough to "freshen" it!

See you there on the 30th.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti