o2cabrio

can VDO oil & temp senders work with stock instruments

5 posts / 784 viewsLast Reply

Tii Engine I got came with a 2 terminal VDO pressure sender that is tapped

with a different thread in the hole at the distributor.

Does anyone know if I can attach the stock oil light circuit to the aftermarket VDO oil pressure sender with it still functioning normally? basically are they compatible?

( run a separate ground wire, and hook the normal wire? )

I don't have a VDO oil gauge to hook it up to right now.

on a similar note, anyone happen to know if I can hook a aftermarket VDO temp sender to the normal temp gauge?

thanks.

pressure warning light so long as you use the correct terminal on the sender. Don't need to ground the sender as it grounds through the mounting threads. Be advised that most VDO gauge senders set the warning light to illuminate at 1 atm (14.7 psi) vs .5 atm (7.3 psi) so on a high mileage engine (or with a low idle) the oil warning light might flicker on...

mike

Sounds like you need the right thread size first. Then, with the dual tipped sender, one terminal to the dummy light, the other to the gauge. As for the temp gauge--I believe they're generally used for oil temp, rather than water temp since you've already go the temp gauge in the cluster. Now as to where to place an oil temp sensor..that's a matter of opinion. My mechanic suggested tapping the oil pump housing rather than sticking it in the drain plug hole, as the oil temp reading would be more accurate at the pump.

Benzo

'71 verona

find on the 71 and later oil filter housings. This is where the oil line for the K-fish pump goes on tii's, but it's just a dimple on carbureted '02s. Drill it out and tap it for the proper thread, and you've got the perfect spot--oil temp as it enters/exits the filter.

cheers

mike