Sign in to follow this  
chuncomunco

Behr Aluminum Radiator vs. aftermarket 320i copper core

5 posts / 1167 viewsLast Reply

I'm currently restoring my 72 Tii and i wanna know why the Behr Aluminum radiator costs more than a regular 320i copper core. Does it perform better? is it more corrosion resistant?

thanks.

I'm currently restoring my 72 Tii and i wanna know why the Behr Aluminum radiator costs more than a regular 320i copper core. Does it perform better? is it more corrosion resistant?

thanks.

aluminum/plastic is used for weight and cost savings over all-metal copper/brass radiators. That doesnt explain why you are seeing the alu as more expensive. Perhaps just a demand thing. All else held equal, copper will destroy alu it in terms of cooling efficiency. All metal rads tend to last for decades if properly maintained, but you can feel the definite weight difference. Alu/plastic? not so good for longetivity, but cheap enough.... Mine was $18 last time i bought one. Time after that (rad failure NOT the rad's fault!) a certain Gilroy body shop proprietor was kind enough to save my ass and send me a freebie!! :)

TY, MD, AGAIN! :)

Is the Behr a 320i model? Are both new? In which Pacific Rim country was the aftermarket radiator made?

$18 for a new rad? where do I sign up?

good as new, lets put it that way!! (half price day at pick-n-pull ;-p)