Sign in to follow this  
ACK02

Make offer on Bavauto Performance Springs

6 posts / 1524 viewsLast Reply

I bought and installed Bavauto springs on my 74 '02 and found they weren't compatible with the HD Bilsteins I got. I'm trying to unload the springs, never driven on. Make me an offer if you're interested.

(nt)

is it due to stiffness or the percieved need to use shorter shocks with shorter springs?? sports are only 10mm shorter, and only in BACK. front shocks are identical length between sports and HDs.... (source: bilstein USA)

I had to go back to www.mye28.com where I had been searching for springs and shocks for a 5er to figure out where I had seen it. (edit: by "text" I mean I could not find it spelled out in their catolog, or their website specifically)

If you go to bavauto.com and select bavauto springs and "add to cart", a page for "get everything else you'll need" will come up and show compatable shocks (and other things in some cases). On the 2002tii, the only options listed are bilstein sport shocks. This was also the case for a 528e when selecting sport springs. There's more discussion on HD riding the bump stops at mye28.com:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=10730&highlight=lowering+springs+bavauto

There's more discussion on HD riding the bump stops at mye28.com:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=10730&highlight=lowering+springs+bavauto

There seems to be some incorrect information contained in that thread..... most of the authoritative information I have seen while researching this question over the past week or so seems to confirm, or at least support the assertion that the physical dimensions of the HD and SPORT shocks for the 2002 is very similar.

The key differences appear to be mostly in the stiffness/damping rates, and also some comments suggesting the bump stops in the SPORTS are different to account for a lowered ride height.

In a nutshell... with standard ride height, eithet SPORT or HD appear to acceptable options. With a lowered ride height, the SPORTS appear to be the recommended choice....