Armond

Saw a car today made by GLAS from the 50's

5 posts / 1069 viewsLast Reply

My friend is restoring two of them. He briefly told me that BMW took over the company in the early 60's thus designing the 02's thereafter. Just wanted to share. He could be wrong.

Guest Anonymous

The Hans Glas Co was taken over by BMW in 1968. the Glas models were carried over for a few years - at first with the BMW roundel attached to them. and later with BMW engines dropped in (for example the sleek 1600GT coupe got the 1602 engine.....) All of the tooling for the 1700 sedan got sold to a South Africa mfr which built it as the BMW 1804 and BMW 2004, and also which was built as BMW Cheetah in Rhodesia. The BMW South Africa mfr was acquired by BMW in '73 and is now the BMW South African mfring plant which exports 3 series and others around the world. The original Hans Glas plant in Dingolfing is now one of the major BMW plants cranking out 3 and 5 series if I remember.

-o2pilot

Dingolfing produces the 5s, 6s, and 7s, at least it did in the not too distant past. Regensburg produces 3s, along with Munich, and I believe Leipzig.

Z4/X5 are produced in Spartanburg, and X3 is made in Steyr-Puch in Austria.

Also Glas made Gogomobiles, I have a friend with a substantial collection of these cars. Very cool stuff.