yeewiz

Replacing exhaust manifold and 2 studs came out

7 posts / 2132 viewsLast Reply

Besides replacing those studs with 2 new studs, any other tips? Do you locktite the new studs? What torque amount? How do you thread the stud into the head - do you use a nut on the exhaust manifold side? Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks!

It's no big deal, you can replace the studs if you like, but I would just rethread them into the head when you reinstall the manifold. Use some blue loctite if you like, but not necessary.

Can't advise you on official torque value- I always use "goodntight".

Bret.

Thanks. How do you cinch tight the stud? Vicegrips? Nut on the other end of the stud?

Ummmm, replacing the studs properly is kinda important. If you don’t do it right, you can tighten the studs too far into the motor, strip threads in the motor, leak engine oil into the manifold, start an engine fire, etc. The top row of studs are most critical because they penetrate into the oil sump under the valve cover.

To do it right, you should clean out the holes really well, then set new studs for 24-hours minimum red loc-tite (or high-temp loc-tite if you can find it), then you can install the manifold with new BMW 8mm copper clad steel locking nuts that are spec’ed for 2002 manifold use. Don't try to reuse studs because you want to use the closest thread tolerances possible.

Read about it in this FAQ: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/19/32/

For the rest of your studs, use all new BMW manifold nuts so they lock down properly. I consider these locking nuts to be single use items. Before you order your fasteners, you would be wise to see how loose the rest of your studs are too. I had a couple studs initially come out on me, and when I checked the rest, the practically all turned right out. I ended up replacing all 8 studs.

The simplest way to get the correct studs and nuts is your BMW dealer. You can get a complete set of 8 studs and 8 nuts for around $10. The studs are P/N 07 11 9 908 317 and I misplaced the P/N for the nuts. The nuts have attached lock washers, and you orient the nuts with the washers toward the manifold. Do not use any other washers or fasteners, just the BMW nuts.

Tighten the nuts, then check and retighten after the car has been used a number of times.

To insert or remove the studs, double nut them.