Sign in to follow this  

Pertronix install question -- wiring???

5 posts / 686 viewsLast Reply

I looked in the FAQ and this is not clear (to me at least).

The red wire from the Pertronix goes to which side of the coil?

And what about the wiring that plugs into the condenser? What do I do with that after the Pertronix install? If "nothing" is the answer, can I use it for the MSD tach adapter?

Any other wiring tips? The car is sort of looking like Frank-en-wiring, because I'm going Pertronix, MSD, and locked dist. with MSD timing computer. Kinda fun trying to figure it all out together, kinda of PITA. (But it is the last step before the touring hits the road again -- other than the hood re-install).

The Pertronix kit contains installation instructions (including diagrams) which outline this fairly clearly.

A condensed version of the instructions boils down to this....

If your coil DOES NOT have an external ballast resistor, the red wire can be connected directly to th +VE terminal on the coil.

If your coil DOES have an external ballast resistor, the red wire should be connected to the side of the ballast resistor that is receiving +12V (not the terminal closest to the coil).

The black wire can be conneceted directly to the -VE terminal on the coil. In my case, I connected it to the black wires that attached to the points for a cleaner looking instrallation.

In actual fact, the red wire can be connnected to any +12V source that is energized when the ignition switch is in the RUN/START position.

The Pertronix kit contains installation instructions (including diagrams) which outline this fairly clearly.

A condensed version of the instructions boils down to this....

If your coil DOES NOT have an external ballast resistor, the red wire can be connected directly to th +VE terminal on the coil.

If your coil DOES have an external ballast resistor, the red wire should be connected to the side of the ballast resistor that is receiving +12V (not the terminal closest to the coil).

The black wire can be conneceted directly to the -VE terminal on the coil. In my case, I connected it to the black wires that attached to the points for a cleaner looking instrallation.

In actual fact, the red wire can be connnected to any +12V source that is energized when the ignition switch is in the RUN/START position.

Thanks.

Hi Joshua,

I went through the same thing and what really saved my butt was setting up Pertronix FIRST and getting the car to run properly as is.

After it's all up and running (and pertronix should be straightforward, if you don't have it running soon let me know and I will photograph my installation), then set up the MSD.

MSD was much more difficult to install for me, because the instructions just were not clear enough to be helpful. Wound up using a variety of sources to figure it out.

Doing it this way also allows you to feel the difference that the MSD makes.

Hi Joshua,

I went through the same thing and what really saved my butt was setting up Pertronix FIRST and getting the car to run properly as is.

I think I'll try that tonight. I have the MSD wired in almost completely, but it is easy enough to disconnect. This is my 3rd MSD install, so that doesn't worry me too much. But what really messes it up is the timing computer and the Pertronix only heaps on top of that. Maybe I should have really f*cked things up and gone with a crank fired iginition. Oy, that would have been "fun."