Do you miss your old 02s?

do you miss 'em?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. do you miss 'em?

• miss 'em all
    • miss some of 'em
    • miss none of 'em

15 posts / 1305 viewsLast Reply

I've owned six 02s that I no longer have (one stolen, two totaled, three sold). Two of them I rebuild almost completely. I wish I never sold those two, but the others I don't miss.

The two I miss? A 72tii in Malaga (with a Dave Cruise motor, 292 cam, 5-sp OD tranny and alot more) and a 73tii in Sahara (with Dave Cruise motor, 292 cam, A4 injection, 5-sp c/r tranny and alot more).

And you? What do you miss, what not?

I've had 5 over the years, I still have the 73 but I had 2 - 74's a 75 and a 76.

The 75 was a euro 1502 with a hot 2 liter motor, body was rusted to crap but it ran great and had square lights, euro bumpers and a Perfect Dash without the stupid seatbelt light.

The one I really miss was a Chamonix 74 with real 13 x 6 Minilite wheels, Scheel race seats, Adjustable sways, 40 DCOE's, Header ,Turbo front brakes etc. I let it sit too long and sold it for cheep cheep money about 7 years ago when I said. " I'll never have a 02 again, I don't need all this crap." Never say never.

I've had two '74 02s that at the time I missed almost immediately. the first one i relinquished was a 74 02tii that the PO spent a lot of time and money souping it up. it had a fresh dave cruise motor, big brake upgrade, 5spd, sport suspension, euro bumpers, recarros, and a fresh hennarot paint job. i sold it cuz i was in indianapolis at the time and there was only one shop that would work on it (and it sat for weeks there) and i was in the middle of restoring an old victorian house and didn't have the time or desire to tune/tweak it myself.

the sad part was that i never really experienced what it was that made people so "ga-ga" over these cars until the day i sold it. i advertised it in the Roundel and a guy flew in from Kansas City with his son. i decided to take it for one last spin in the morning and it was the first time i EVER really stepped on it hard. i nearly wiped out on the first turn but the response was quick, tight and soooo much fun. i almost had tears in my eyes when i realized that i HAD to sell it to this guy cuz he flew out to see it. it was very painful to watch them drive away in it.

the other one was a 74 02 i donated to a scam charity after the tsunami two years ago. it was a weak moment and by nightfall i wondered why i did it. i couldn't even buy it back. but i don't miss this car, in hindsight, it was a dog in nice clothing. i foolishly refurbished this car 12 years ago. shouldn't have bothered. but i DO miss the nice parts i had on it, including a NEW 2-piece dash i had scored years ago.

it wasn't long before i returned to 02's, ....with a vengence. i've every reason to believe my new 02's will be every bit as good and even better than either of these cars.

The two I miss the most are the Chamonix/blue '73 tii (I waited 10 years to buy the car from its original owner) and the '68 Manila/tobacco 2002. i remember how my daughter, who was about six years old then, cried when I sold that tii. She somehow realized that I really didn't want to sell it.

Both were victims of financial ups and downs while trying to raise a family. They were sold to friends and eventually died rusty deaths.

Another special one was the Sahara '74 2002A which I had at the same time I had the tii. This one took my now-grown kids to their first day of school. This one served us well for years until the tin worm ate it too, and its engine still hums happily in my current Schwarz '02.

And my first '02, the repaint blue euro '70 1602 I had in college. I proposed to my wife of 26 years while we were riding in that car. It was rear ended while I was taking her to college weeks before we were married.

The rest (Schwarz '75, Agave '72, Pastelblau '75, Mintgrun '76) are also missed.

Here's a pic of my kids (who are now 24 and 22 years old) with the tii.

post-90-13667568824014_thumb.jpg

I have had six 02's - two 73tii's (both inka), two 74's (one white with Zender flares, one Inka), both with stage 2 set ups from Korman. A black 71 ti with a load of Alpina stuff imported from Italy, and the Agave S14 powered car I have now. They were all terrific. In retrospect, the tiis seemed more civilized, but were basically stock. I loved looking at them, but they were quite slow. I enjoyed both of the Korman engined cars. The black 71 takes the cake for me. It had all the cool Alpina stuff and handled better than any 02 I have ever driven. I sold it to a young naval officer who begged me to sell the car. He sold it a year later in Raleigh and it showed up in the Atlanta club classifieds about two years ago. It had been used as an everyday driver and had been trashed. I almost bought it back, but had no room for it. It is one of my highest hopes that someone in Atlanta bought the car and restored it. It is my favorite including the Agave M2.

I've owned Karl for over two years now, and even when he's parked outside in the driveway, I still miss him. However, I used to get really sad when I'd leave him at the mechanic and I knew he was going to be there for a long time. It was so hard to walk away.

Anybody ever think of the movie "Christine" when you read my posts?

Anybody ever think of the movie "Christine" when you read my posts?

Nope.

*whistles innocently*

I could never sell any of my cars/trucks. And they say you can't take it with you -- but when I go, I'm taking them with me.

when I go, I'm taking them with me.

Let me know how that works out. I'd like to try it, too.

I started with a 76's, then foolishly thinking that it would be a good idea to specialize in that year (in California!), I ended up with two other 76's - again foolishly thinking my two sons were going to drive them!

One day I would never forget, it was coming back from SLO Fest west on my 76, I saw a group of tii's coming back on 101, the grin on their faces said it all, while I was struggling at 80mph these things were flying. Sorry Josh, one of them was your sahara tii. The next day I was in search for Bacchus, and after that day I have never looked back!

One of my biggest fear is just that, to sell a car that I should have kept, but sometimes I am tempted just to try something different, then I would have to let go of one!

Sorry Josh, one of them was your sahara tii.

Sorry, nothing. Given your two tiis, I'm flattered. Though I doubt I was smiling. I was probably squinting because of the sun being in my eyes....

I've had four of these little buggers. My first was a '68. Carbed with a sunroof. It was originally silver over black but was painted white. That car was somewhat of a pain 'cause of the '68 only parts. It was still fun.

I gave my brother the '75 for his 16th b-day. I did a mild resto and built a motor he could'nt get in trouble with.

My '70 was a rust bucket and I did'nt do anything with it.

My '73 is my absolute favorite. As the Frank Sinatra song goes- I did it my way! J/K.

Cris

post-178-13667568839094_thumb.jpg

when I go, I'm taking them with me.

Let me know how that works out. I'd like to try it, too.

Egyptian-style Tomb.

Owned 7 '02s (still have 3 of them).

Didn't regret selling my first '02 ('71 Bristol) until I had the 2nd. The Bristol must have had a teaked motor because it went like a bat out of hell compared to all the rest. Also had Borrani steel wheels (didn't know what they were until several years after selling).

Miss my Chamonix Touring tii that was totalled by, of all things, a DAF! I regret being on that road at the wrong time.

Also miss the 3.0csi that was sold to fund the refurbishment of my current Touring in '87. 'Twas a beautiful car even if it did have a stupid Webasto roof (who puts a Webasto roof on a 130+ mph vehicle?)

Tim your black alpina car did it have an alpina badge on the lowere right above the rear bumper? Only reason I ask is that there is (or was) a black roundie with an alpina badge behind the fence at CARR in Greensboro. Don't know anything about it though.