• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running 5X14 Wheels? What tire size to use? (nt)

eastsidebimmer

work fine but I wouldn't go any wider on a 5 inch wide rim. Check a fitment book to see which aspect ratio in a 185/14 tire is the closest to the OEM 165/80x13 tire, and you've got it.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have 195/60-14 Michelin Pilot Primacy's on a set of 14" NK steelies w/ the chrome covers. Stock look but with the advantage of the H rated Michelins....

Jon-
1971 2002 Malaga- In the family since Dad bought it new
2003 530i- Daily beater
2007 R1200 GS Adventure- After work therapy 

Here's a shot of the M2 with 14x5's and 195/60-14 Yoko AVS Intermediates. A little wider than they ought to be for the wheels but no rubbing. 195s are sort of a waste on a 5" wheel, as much of the corner of the tire gets rolled sort of vertically and the tire is cupped outward -- but to paraphrase our secretary of defense, sometimes you drive with the tires you have, not the tires you might want or wish to have.

post-274-1366756881628_thumb.jpg

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

I'm running 14" E30 steel wheels with Sumitomo 195/60's on the rear, and 185/60's on the front. I like the stock'ish look, very subtle rake, and additional grip in the hind quarters. I don't like the sidewall flex on these tires though. Will go back to yoks when I wear these out. I could probably get away with 195's in the front, but don't know that it would gain much, and would probably need to add spacers, which would add a little additional stress on the front bearings and spindles.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

I'm running 14" E30 steel wheels with Sumitomo 195/60's on the rear, and 185/60's on the front. I like the stock'ish look, very subtle rake, and additional grip in the hind quarters. I don't like the sidewall flex on these tires though. Will go back to yoks when I wear these out. I could probably get away with 195's in the front, but don't know that it would gain much, and would probably need to add spacers, which would add a little additional stress on the front bearings and spindles.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

the reason I ask, is: It looks like the E30 Euro cars had a steelie option in 5JX14 ET:35 and it also appears that Silver is still available for order (but as we all know 51/2JX14 ET:35 in Silver is NLA.) Might this get a 2002 driver closer to the stock/look feel? Dunno... PN 36111125684 if anyone wants to try it.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

They're from a 2000C or CS. Those wheels are currently graced with chrome trim rings, but I don't have a photo handy. You can also use 2000CS or Bavaria (E12 Edit: oops, I mean E3, but early e12s came with caps on 14" wheels, too) hubcaps. I bought the steelies from Al Taylor for 10 bucks each.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

a NK sedan, and the 14" wheel covers that go with 'em. The later NKs had wheel covers that were identical to roundie '02s except they were for 14" wheels vs 13" You can also get 14" dog dish hub caps with or without beauty rings.

The slotted E30 steel wheels can be fitted with small diameter stainless steel center caps, and when painted silver look very much like Alpina steel wheels from the early 70s, but in 14"--all depends on the look you want.

BTW--gonna see you at John Bryan Park on the 24th?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

...I run 185/65-14 Sumitomo HTR-200s. The steering stays light, and that size is especially easy to get and cheap since it's stock on '90s Corollas, Civics and the like. Hard-core performance tires may not exist in the size, but I'm not looking for hard-core.

My 2000cs rims with dog-dish caps are 14X5.5. Mine were powdercoated, but there's some surface rust starting where the face meets the rim, so I ought to refinish them someday. I've debated about painting 'em black and running trim rings, too, but I'll probably just keep 'em silver.

-Dave

04OrangeCar.jpg

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler