peteinjp

Front subframe repair idea- opinions please/ pulling the sub

4 posts / 1158 viewsLast Reply

So- as I knew it would when I installed it- the front sub left motor mount arm has cracked. As A repair idea I am thinking of getting the arm cut off of a junk subframe, splitting that arm up the center and fitting the 2 pieces over the existing one- with the empahasis on fitting. I just thought it might be a clean way to go about getting a full length reinforcement.

Also in terms of pulling the sub with the motor in- better to unbolt the steering box or pull the pitman arm? I have a ball joint splitter so I could try that out but I do not wont to screw up the boots at all.

yanking the whole thing. But now I'm thinking that is the way to go. It'll make replacing the oil pan gasket alot easier too!

if you choose to repair the crack make sure to drill out the base of the crack. Seriously take a drill bit and drill a hole at the base of the crack. If you don't and just weld the crack will keep growing. Drilling is the only way to stop it. Afterwards it can be welded up and painted so you'll never know!

HTH,

TJW