future_assassin

Standard to Automatic transplant :P

10 posts / 1884 viewsLast Reply

So been driving my 02 for a month or so. This was the first standard car I've driven in 9 year. Well dont like it :P I like to boot around without having to do some much god damn shifting.

So anyone know of anyone that has transplanted a non 02 auto trans into a 02?

:)

Mighty hard to do. Auto tranny requires a bigger tranny tunnel, more room for the stick console and probably a different driveshaft.

Good luck with the project.

find an auto for sale and trade your perfectly superior auto for it.

What's wrong with an 02 auto? Unless you want overdrive... You could use a higher gear in the rear (3.45 being the highest from the factory?) and go with an '02 auto. Anything else would be very time consuming.

Thanks for the info.

What's wrong with an 02 auto? Unless you want overdrive... You could use a higher gear in the rear (3.45 being the highest from the factory?) and go with an '02 auto. Anything else would be very time consuming.

isn't swapping / transplanting engines and tranys anyways?

isn't swapping / transplanting engines and tranys anyways?

Just spent over a year getting a 3 speed with overdrive manual in my truck. Didn't take very long to get it in, but it took a lot of my free time to find out how to rebuild it, where to still get parts for it (mid-80's trans - chevy dealers weren't much help), and then I had to rebuild the shifter, because it was terminally damaged. Haven't got to rebuilding the rear end yet, but did have a driveshaft made. Spent way too much, could have had a 350 with 700R4 (overdrive auto) for not much more than I spent.

Note: It's hard to find those 3.45 gear sets; plus you'll have to determine if first gear ratio in the auto is suitable for the power output of your engine.

Guest Anonymous

I'll trade you the automatic parts for your standard 4 speed parts if that is what you really want. It will take me about a month to pull all of them.

Your biggest problem is going to be enlarging the trans tunnel to fit a auto, you'll have to strip the interior out of the car and cut out the old tunnel and put a auto one in this will involve a lot of cutting and welding but can be done, I have a auto tunnel section I'll donate to the project if you get that far. As pointed out before it might be easier just to get a 2002 automatic and sell you stick car.