mikebikerad

Pulled head..... now what?

14 posts / 1806 viewsLast Reply

I thought it would be ugly after seing water pour out of #2 plug hole when cranking engine. The head gasket was deffinaetly damaged around #2 but was not broken. I don't really know what the next step would be. Any help for a beginner would be great. thanks

mike

block1.jpg

head1.jpg

head2.jpg

bring it to a machine shop (with the top timing cover) and have them check for cracks and see if it's warped. you should decide what you want to do meaning valves, guides, seats, nothing. At least replace the valve seals and have the head checked for cracks and levelness.

Timing cover needs to be machined with head so they are even or else you will POUR oil out of the joint at the head and timing covers.

No idea where you live but if you share someone will be able to reccomend a good shop nearby. If not shipping a head is cheap.

Expect to pay $150 for basic cleaning and testing for cracks and level. You could pay all the way up to $1,000 for extensive head work so it's decision time.

HTH,

TJW

clean real good around #2 on the head. what is that arrow pointing to. sure looks like a crack. when i was working for the dealer thats exactly what the six cylinders looked like.

I live in humboldt County Northern Cal. I know of a pricey german werks place in eureka but that is it. thaks for the cooments.

So any updates? You can get a used head here from someone but I'd take it to be tested first. That arrow sure does look like a crack but it could be the photo too. Was the gasket OK or have you found where/how the water was getting in? I'd drop it at any decent machine shop out there. If you get desperate I know of several GOOD places but all on the east coast... Shipping a head isn't that much...

thomasjwinston at yahoo dot com

clean real good around #2 on the head. what is that arrow pointing to. sure looks like a crack. when i was working for the dealer thats exactly what the six cylinders looked like.

what dealer did you work at and when? i was at tom williams in birmingham for part of '03 ;)

Water has been getting in for a while.Top of piston and combustion chamber are cleaner than others.Crack test head,go from there.Take to any good machine shop.

Mal.

Guest Anonymous

I cleaned the head up this morning. that line next too the 2 was just grime. The headgasket was messed up around the 2 with little holes etc. no big cracks though. i used a big carpenters square and it seemed very flat. Im going to take the head into my highschool auto shop and see what we can do with the valves seals etc.

Guest Anonymous

I cleaned the head up this morning. that line next too the 2 was just grime. The headgasket was messed up around the 2 with little holes etc. no big cracks though. i used a big carpenters square and it seemed very flat. Im going to take the head into my highschool auto shop and see what we can do with the valves seals etc.

I forget what it's called but they use some type of stuff that shows cracks bright as day. I'm not so old that I forget what being a poor HS kid was like but I'm telling you because if you have a crack and you ignore it you'll end up paying in the end and it will only cost you more. If you have the head clean, and it's level a good machine shop will not charge much to test for leaks/cracks. It will be worth every penny to have it checked IMO

thanks for the excellent feedback. Sometimes its nice to have a little compassion when youe beamers broke. im taking it in to machine shop soon.