• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CA smog

DNTL911

Just wanted to know how all the people in CA that own 76 2002s are getting them smogged. The reason for my question is that I presently live in WA, and am picking up a 76 tomorrow that I was going to buy. I plan to go back to CA by next sept. and I dont know if I want to deal with all the smog issues. Any answers would be great.

Cristian

SIlver 76 2002

One answer, don't! Getting my '76 to pass smog was a pain in the arse! I eventually found a guy who would "smog it under the table". He wanted to charge me $320! I talked him down to $200. That's the only way it would pass. Maybe you could swap a more modern 318i engine or an M20, but other than that, it's very difficult to get a 30 year old carburated car to pass smog.

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Yea, don't buy a '76 for California. '75 and older are exempt. I personally think that a '76 or any year 02 would pass the sniffer test, but it's the "visual" inspection that's a crock. Any thing they say looks defferent than the lone black and white photo of the engine they have in their book--you have to fix. Up to $450 and if it still doesn't pass there's a one time exemption plus some more fees. 2 years after that you'll have to smog it again.

Benzo

'71 verona

Don't do it!!!

I have a 76 sitting in my driveway that won't pass. It keeps failing during the 25mph test. It missing for some reason and can't figure it out. Visually it is 100% but the sniffer doesn't like what it is smelling.

For 8 years I did the smog equipement shuffle, every other year putting on and pulling off everything smog related. My plan was I would eventually be exempt. CA pissed on that parade a couple years back.

So out of utter frustration I ran out and got myself a 69 and will be putting my efforts into that one.

Anyone outsite of CA interested in nice Inka 76

Don't do it!!!

I have a 76 sitting in my driveway that won't pass. It keeps failing during the 25mph test. It missing for some reason and can't figure it out. Visually it is 100% but the sniffer doesn't like what it is smelling.

For 8 years I did the smog equipement shuffle, every other year putting on and pulling off everything smog related. My plan was I would eventually be exempt. CA pissed on that parade a couple years back.

So out of utter frustration I ran out and got myself a 69 and will be putting my efforts into that one.

Anyone outsite of CA interested in nice Inka 76

Don't ask me why. I bought it with the understanding that the seller get the smog check, and he did. It passed OK for me two years after that. I believe:

1. If it passes a smog check, it will continue to pass the smog check with normal use and scheduled maintenance. That means keeping all of the smog equipment on there and active. Several of the pieces (e.g. EGR valve) will fail if they sit on a shelf between checks or are disabled by blocked vacuum hoses.

2. If it doesn't pass, it takes a smart mechanic to find and fix the problems.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

I have gat a different take on this, My 76malaga02, is a daily driver, I had planned on removing the smog stuff this year, but the new Gov, change the law, so, it is all intact. I do pass smog check, every two years, I get smoged in CA, and, I drop it off at an 02 guru, who has it smogged at smog shop run by another 02 guru, but it runs fine and goes fast enough for me, I dont like to drive 80-85 on the highway, but in LA when the traffic is moving, you either lead, follow or get out of the way. In my case I do all three.

All I know is that the smog equip is there, it is dialed in to pass, and dialed out when I pick it up. So, I love my 76malaga02.

And it beats a Car Payment.