GregR

Is it difficult to do away with the gas vapor...

17 posts / 2021 viewsLast Reply

...recirculation system?

I know of the trunk tank, metal line under car, and canister.

Mostly curious how much of a pain it would be to delete all three.

Hey Paul,

Na I'm in McKinney, although yes its a police state, the car is exempt.

On a second glance it appears that the line runs with the gas line. I've heard of the nifty hole in the trunk for the euro vent, but on a US 76 I think it is obscured by metal structure and is unaccessible.

The niffty hole may need to be drilled. It is directly under the rear pannel support (that the trunk lock is bolted to) very close to the rear pannel itself. And there is a hard line that goes from the back of the filler neck under the trunk floor to that hole. I could take pics if you want, email me. Beaner7102

I don't know how much a 76 differs, but on a US 74, there is a hole in the trunk support frame between the gas tank and the rear axle, where the excess fuel return line enters the gas tank compartment and connects to the gas tank sending unit. You can see the garage floor through this hole so it does vent outside. The fuel return line only takes up half the hole and you could put the vent tube through the remaining part of the hole.

and keep the vapor recovery system. There is no performance advantage to going without it.

Are new canisters still available via BMW?

I guess my other question would be, is there clean alternative way to hook it up if there is not a fuel return valve anymore?

Can I just hook the end that used to go to the valve somewhere on the intake manifold or the carb without ill effect?

75_2002pedited.jpg

If so, what are the proper connections?

I would also assume the charcoal canister is dead by now.

But, honestly, I would really like to know your opinion.

But maybe the vapor recovery system has merit, if it can be made to work properly with a Weber. If.

I would think that SOME FAQer has rigged up a homemade vapor recovery system other than the dreaded Euro vent. I mean, practically all of these cars are garaged.

I keep mine in the garage, with no issues on vapors. I ran mine along my re routed sunroof drain

Well maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit. I just vented it to the engine bay this morning via a line from the ex-recovery system, and I am speculating that it will skunk up the garage seeing how bad it made the trunk smell.

I may end up hooking it up so the system looks present but put a block in it somewhere near the canister in the engine bay and leave the rest of it alone and hope it does not go awry, and just check the trunk reservoir periodically for fuel or vapors.

One of the canister lines used to go to the fuel return valve, then a line ran to the Solex, but now the engine has a 32 36 and the valve is gone.

I may end up hooking it up so the system looks present but put a block in it somewhere near the canister in the engine bay...

If you mean plug the line or system, don't do that. That vent is the only means for the fuel tank to vent because the fuel cap is sealed. If you plug the vent, the fuel tank will overpressurize next time the car sits in the sun. Among other things, that could blow your vent line somewhere where it passes through the passinger compartment...then good luck tearing up your interior looking for that fume source.