Sign in to follow this  
fep11611

76 CA smog help!

7 posts / 1220 viewsLast Reply

I bought a 76' a few months back knowing about the smog issues in CA. it's a new york car so it has almost nothing smog related on it. it just so happened that I found someone who had a 76' and was trying to pass it in CA, but when he went to register it they said it was a 73' (lucky guy). He ended up giving me all the smog equipment he had. I really have know clue what some of this stuff is and if I need some other parts to get it to pass the visual instection. the car runs great and looks great so I hate to have it sitting for any longer. I know I need the stock air cleaner and exhaust manifold on it for sure. I've never had to deal with this smog stuff so im a bit at lost. Im in the los angelas area and dont know anyone around here that is into 02's or if I should attempt to do this my self or take it to a shop? any suggestions? I have more pictures of the engine bay but I checked the preview of the post and I will only post these pics.

post-1782-13667568775065_thumb.jpg

post-1782-13667568776794_thumb.jpg

post-1782-13667568778454_thumb.jpg

post-1782-13667568780124_thumb.jpg

post-1782-13667568781746_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

You've got a BIG job in front of you that will be a real PITA. It will cost a fortune to have someone do it so I suggest you do it yourself. Best way would find one already set up so you can do it visually, as a last resort go by Realoem and other photo's....best of luck....steve

thanks for the advise. any 76 02 owners around the San Fernando valley that might be willing to help?

You do have quite a bit of work, all of that stuff gives me a headache. Mike Brown at the M-Shop in LA, (eagle rock) area, can probably put it together blindfolded, but it wont be chaep. Give him a call anyway.

76mala02

(daily driver, smog approved, and goes fast enough for me)

cars" and "California cars" for smog purposes - the differences between the two catagories had to do with what equipment was required to be present when the car was sold new.

California never required used cars that were brought into the state from other places by their owners to be brought up to CA emissions standards, so if your '76 was a "49 state car" originally, it should NOT have to have all of the CA emissions stuff added on.

Hopefully the original emissions stickers are still present - if so, a decent emissions shop should be able to id the car as a 49 state car, which should simplify the emissions requirements somewhat.