bruces1

Good sources for rebuilt engines

13 posts / 1521 viewsLast Reply

Hi, anybody know a good source for a rebuilt 2k2 engine. I've got blown piston rings, and can't afford to have my car down for too long. Would like to get something to swap out if possible. Will a 320i engine work? I have a four speed transmission.

Thanks, Bruce

if your near CT i have one with 92k on it runs fine 140 compression in all cylinders 400$

post-1291-13667568783546_thumb.jpg

I have no idea about these things, but is it something that would be practical to ship to Atlanta?

Thanks, Bruce

I purchased a rebuilt engine from 2002AD it was shipped to me in NY with no problems.

I'm in NH, and would be interested. What year is engine from? Any rebuild? Any smoking, leaking, clatter/noises, or oil consumption?

A 77-79 320i engine is a 2L M10 engine, just has EFI instead of carbs. 80-83 320 has a 1.8L M10 engine. Both will work, you'll have to strip the EFI and replace the intake manifolds with the ones from your 02. i'm sure some other minor work is involved.

G-Man

Be mindful of the head! The EFI cars especially the e21 cars didn't have the fuel pump holes drilled out. Better to look for a rebuilt 02 motor or one that's got the fuel pump provision. Try 2002ad or buy yourself a $50-$100 used motor and have it rebuilt locally. Shipping on a motor isn't going to be cheap... and you gotta crate it too.

EDIT: Bruce if I were you I'd be doing the same thing - start looking. But from the posts you put up yesterday you probably have years before your motor will start causing you real issues. Unless you're worried about emissions or passing inspection just look for the right deals and keep driving your car!

Guest Anonymous

The best thing about a rebuilt engine is you have somthing known. A used engine is just that (a great option if your on a tight budget), and you have one already. For rebuilt engines there is always LaValle's Import Restorations located north of Greensboro NC (5-6hrs), There is BMW, Irland, 2002haus, Metric Mechanics. The place NOT to get an engine from is Bavarian engine exchange there engines last around 10 feet to 50k.

Make sure with any rebuild engine you get what you pay for. Our engines are a bit more expensive then the pure budget places . You can figure around 3800 for a tii pistoned engine from us. That includes all new bearings, chains, oil pump, Rocker shafts, rocker arms etc. ie all done right. The tii pistons are actualy cheaper then stock compression and now would be the time to do that 292 cam you have always wanted.

Thanks

Sam

merlin_m3_racing (at) yahoo.com please note the underscores

Lavalle's Import restorations

336-662-0574

I believe factory fresh motors are still available from BMW as well, list is about $ 3700. Ask your local dealer about 11 00 1 261 408 non-tii or 11 00 1 263 390 for Tii.

Be mindful of the head! The EFI cars especially the e21 cars didn't have the fuel pump holes drilled out. Better to look for a rebuilt 02 motor or one that's got the fuel pump provision.

Installation of an electric fuel pump seems like it would be an easy workaround to overcome this limitation. Are there any other gotchas with engines from an E21 car?

as others mentioned. The E21 came in a 1.8L and a 2.0L so you'd want the 2.0L. Also be mindful of the camshafts as some (no idea exactly which ones) have reverse distributor gears meaning the distributor rotates the opposite way. It just poses a headache because the e21 distributors that spin backwards had an ECU and an electronic distributor. Just take it as a warning to look and know that it's a PITA to deal with. Much easier to switch the camshaft out in my opinion than to deal with rigging up an e21 distributor... but camshaft = take the head off = rebuild anyway...