DavinSF

The California Melee was AWESOME!

8 posts / 1315 viewsLast Reply

WOW! What an event!

Link to pics from myself and friends are here:

I feel like I really started to learn how to DRIVE my car last weekend. It was 800 miles over three days of the most unbelievably twisty roads I've ever experienced. The route wound its way through Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino, and Humbolt counties in Northern California on everything from one-lane pockmarked winery roads with crazy gravel sections to wide-open 90mph+ two-laners flying over ridge-tops and descending between lakes and rivers. Wide open throttle, hard braking straight, ease off brakes at turn-in, tires scrub, car takes a set, wide open throttle for a touch of oversteer, FLY out of the corner, repeat. For hours and hours. Three days straight. Hot DAMN.

I haven't had this much fun in a car since I lost my virginity.

Many thanks to Steve and especially Norm for getting me into this amazing event. The car was FLAWLESS, so thanks also to JP Cadoux and A-1 Imports in San Rafael for such a solid M20 build.

The crowd was fantastic, people who are in it for the spirit of FUN and driving amazing old cars the way they were built to be driven. Anyone in search of a seriously good time next September should not miss this. Get in touch at www.californiamelee.com.

Just had to share some of experience with y'all. Cheers!

242790741_bb0528d236.jpg?v=0

i want to do this sooooo bad. but my location makes it difficult. if anyone ever needs a co-pilot id love to fly out and take part in this. we are so lame in gods country when it comes to stuff like this. we do a fall colors drive and thats about it.

we do a fall colors drive and thats about it.

No wonder its boring. "the fall colors drive" sounds like a slooow drive looking at nature. BOOOO.

Mabey if the name was changed to something more "sporty" like the "green to gold hills and thrills drive" or "this aint your usual Sunday drive, drive" or something that dosent sound so dull.

The drives out here do look like they are a blast. I havent had the luck to go on one yet (two years ago I had drive shaft problems, this year my tranny took a dump) But there is always the Alpine 500 in the spring. I will be one that one forsure! Unless my motor blows up right before hand. (thats the only thing I have yet to replace on the car and with my luck it will go south about two weeks before the get together.)

Do they still have that event? I ran that event a few times--years ago. Used to begin at 12 noon and ran 'til dawn, generally in southwest Wisconsin. Fond memories of "brisk" speeds, blizzards and ice on the roads. Great fun.

mac.

Davin,

You forgot to mention SF, Marin, Lake, Tehama, and Shasta counties in your list.

Have you gone to see the plastic surgeon yet?

Blunt,

You almost had a seat for this event. My son backed out at the last minute and I wasn't sure if my wife would as well. She made it and had an absolute blast. Good for her, bad for you. I'll keep your name on the 1st reserve spot for any future events.

thanks stevo. its a lot to ask. i just want to be on a reserve list if someone gets sick or isnt able to attend at the last minute.