colorobo2002

EFI wideband o2 sensor/innovate question

9 posts / 1601 viewsLast Reply

So I'm looking to get a wideband o2 sensor and tuning system for my volvo LH 2.4 EFI setup on my '02. Everyone talks about getting a wideband o2 sensor, but I haven't really heard what tools you can use to tune with it.

Innovate Motorsports ( www.innovatemotorsports.com ) seems to have a good kit. My question is... Should I go with the LM-1 or LMA-2 with rpm converter? I want to get this to help tuning the volvo setup, then I'll eventually go to megasquirt. Don't know if I really need the extra bells and whistles of the LMA-2. Any thoughts, or other tuners to look into?

The only tools that I used with mine were a screwdriver to take jets in and out of my carb with, and an AFR gauge.

I just got an $80 XD-1 LED Display to show me AFR.

If you plan on going megasquirt in the future, I wouldnt hesitate to get a wideband controller if you are tuning carbs.

I would go with the LM-1 with an analog gauge. You can datalog to a laptop with the LM-1 and their software. Check out diyautotune.com for both the LM-1 and the gauge.

Something like $250ish for the full setup...and diy auto tune has great service.

HTH,

Jake

And yes its worth getting- here's why- you can log rpm which is a good indicator of what changes to the carb affect the mix at what engine speed. Also you can attach sensors such as EGT sensors which are very good indicators as to what is going on in the engine- good for tuning. Or a TPS sensor- SO for example you can no that at part throttle (ie cruise) at a given RPM the engine could be leaned out (for economy) ITs worth the extra bucks just in terms of what you can learn from it.

But I can vouch for the innovate bunch in terms of excelent customer service. The designer (Klaus) of the unit is very very active on the forum that they host and will answer the stupidest questions in the world (like mine.) Additionally I had a bad sensor and they took my word for it and sent a new one all the way to Japan. The customer service alone is of great value and of all of the car people I have delt with there has been none better.

I have the Innovative unit and am happy with it, idiot proof instructions.

In my case I use it on a number of cars so having the control unit and read out in one hand held unit makes swapping easy, but it is a quite big.

On the other hand a friend has the Aussie one (forgot the name) which has a separate control unit from the read out so the control can be mounted behind the dash for instance and the readout neatly fitted in the dash. Horses for courses.

Of course the Innovative is I still think the cheapest one.