Sign in to follow this  
Lost2002Angel

easy question about wheels

7 posts / 1091 viewsLast Reply

I searched around and it seems to be that my 74 2002 has a 4x100 lug pattern. Is this accurate? If i were to put 15 inch honda wheels on it (My tires are bald on the bmw wheels, and i need it to pass inspection) do i need some kind of spacer? I keep reading about spacers, but i dont really know if im going to need them, or why. Of if i do need them, where to get them. Anyone who can help me out would be thanked with kisses. XOXO

While the bolt pattern will fit, the critical thing when doing wheel swapping is the offset...many times front drive cars have radically different offsets on their wheels from rear drive cars-but not always.

Even the wheels from an E21 Three series BMW don't work well on a 2002 due to offest issues, but the 14" wheels from an E30 fit perfectly. Go figure.

A good wheel fitment book (or clever soul on the board) should be able to tell you what the proper offset range for an '02 should be, and the Honda dealer should be able to tell you the offset on the Honda wheels.

good luck..and be advised that a known, slam dunk interchange is with any of the E30 wheels--alloy or steel.--and they're cheap and readily available

cheers

mike

DON'T futch around with ill-fitting wheels and incorrect offsets,

put 4-new tires on your present rims - assuming they are 13" steel rims - KUMHO Touring A/S 165/80/13 at a heaping $31 (only thirty-one-dollars!) EACH - that's almost free ! and drive with safety and pass yer inspection.

go to TIRE RACK .COM

ku_touring_as_795_ci1_l.jpg

usually sporting a 40mm (+ or - 5mm) offset. Even the aftermarket wheels are around that offset, too. Or at least, that's what I've found. That kind of offset would put the wheels into your struts for sure.

You can toss some 10mm spacers behind the wheels and bring them out to work, but then you'll have to worry about longer studs. By that time, you're better off buying wheels that actually fit the right way without modifications.

I've been there. It sucks. All of those wheels that would look absolutely incredible on a 02 just won't fit as easy as we'd like them to.

And if you're unsure about the offset, look at the casting areas in the middle of the wheel (either behind or in front). You'll see all sorts of things like 15x7 JJ 40ET.

The 15 is obviously the diameter, the 7 is the width, the JJ is the bead or lip style, and the ET numbers are the offset.

Hope this helps.

usually sporting a 40mm (+ or - 5mm) offset. Even the aftermarket wheels are around that offset, too. Or at least, that's what I've found. That kind of offset would put the wheels into your struts for sure.

You can toss some 10mm spacers behind the wheels and bring them out to work, but then you'll have to worry about longer studs. By that time, you're better off buying wheels that actually fit the right way without modifications.

I've been there. It sucks. All of those wheels that would look absolutely incredible on a 02 just won't fit as easy as we'd like them to.

And if you're unsure about the offset, look at the casting areas in the middle of the wheel (either behind or in front). You'll see all sorts of things like 15x7 JJ 40ET.

The 15 is obviously the diameter, the 7 is the width, the JJ is the bead or lip style, and the ET numbers are the offset.

Hope this helps.