Sign in to follow this  
Stupac

Fueling Problem

4 posts / 780 viewsLast Reply

This is my first 02 and my first vehicle of this vintage. The problem I'm having is putting fuel in this baby at the gas station. Now I thought you were supposed to stick the pump into the gas tank and pull the lever. Well apparently I was wrong, when I stick the pump in it will go for a second and then cut off, sometimes spewing gas back out. You can spend 5-10 minutes starting and stopping and only get 1 gallon in it, some of it leaking down the fender, which will do a number on the paint. After working at it for 20 minutes, much to my embarrasment, I finally found a sweat spot where I can hold the pump and pull the lever very carefully and it will fuel slowly without stopping, but still spews fuel out. I know the gas tank is nearly empty when I go to fill it, my gauge seems to have grounding problems so rocking the tank and listening has been my method of choice. Now is this normal or is there anything I can do about it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Check out the tank vent it could be blocked, therefore not letting air escape as fuel is going in. I know some bowsers are better than others to find the 'sweet spot', I also think the early style tanks pre April 71 (long rubber neck) are easier to fill than the later ones after April 71(short rubber neck) - I have one of each. Beaner7102

nozzle from which the gas flows. There are many different styles, and some (notably the very stiff ones that look like a corrugated radiator hose) are a real PITA to use. The flat seals are the easiest--I just pull 'em off the nozzle, refuel and then reinstall. Find a style of nozzle that works best for you, then do your refueling at that station--may not hellp when you travel, but that's one of the prices of driving a pre "unleaded fuel only" car in an unleaded world.

Thanks, Ralph Nader.

mike

Thanks for the response guys. Yeah I have been going to gas station that has a specific nozzle I like, but it's still an incredible pain. I'll have to look at the venting, hopefully the manual will have a diagram cause I tried messing around with a hose that went into the rubber neck, but to no effect. Well she blew through a radiator hose today, so I'll have to wait till I get her back on the road before I can test any theories. Thanks again.