Sign in to follow this  
chrome68

Complete brake failure

4 posts / 944 viewsLast Reply

Total failure of the original system in my 68 1602! both calipers are leaking at an alarming rate -scored badly, and one rear cyl. as well, M/c dripping as well and into the servo, finaly causing it's failure. NOBODY tailgates me anymore, as it sprays brake fluid out the tailpipe, via the booster hose! rather than rebuilding the entire system, I'm thinking it'd be cheaper & more reliable to swap to a 320i system, mc, front and rears. Now I've heard that the 1600 has a different spindle size in pre 69 & single line fronts. is this correct? if so anyone know what bearings will fit the 1602 spindle, and the 320 hub? or was this one of those hard to distinguish references to the 1600 4 door? can I just use the 320 solid rotor and calipers? 320 booster & MC & 320 rears? I'm just looking to get back on the road safely, not to run extra lines & vented swap. besides isnt a stock setup great when in decent shape? for now I'm stuck driving the most gutless corolla wagon, I had a 3 cyl 1.0 with more guts than this! anyhow, can anyone chime in on my hub situation please? Am I golden for a bolt in swap, or do I need to be aware of anything?

You're not in for an easy conversion. I don't know if you'll get too much response here, but I tell you what I know & can remember.

The front of my '68 1602 had single line calipers. I don't know what can be bolted in, in their place. Mine had a mechanical clutch set up - no hydraullic master or slave - does yours? This will be important for your MC replacement/conversion options.

Don't know about spindle size, might check realoem.com part numbers to compare with a 2002.

The rears are also an unknown. I remember having to swap the entire rear subframe to get a short neck differential, but did not really look at the rear brake setup on the 1602. Most likely has smaller wheel cylinders than a 2002, and probably wouldn't be too hard to change out to a 2002 or 320i setup(?) Look under the rear axle - mine didn't have CV joints on both ends of the half shafts - it had miniture u-joints towared the (long neck) differential and CV joints on the other. You may have to just try the 320i parts - if you can get them easily, and see what works and what doesn't. Getting a "single line" master cylinder without hydraullic clutch reservoir hookup is going to be a problem for the common BMW doner cars to offer.

OK, I'm starting to speculate, let us know what you've got, maybe someone will know more...

Edit: Also, if you completely strike out here, and can spend the money - you could try and find the right person at Ireland Engineering who could give some of the answers you want and they probably can sell you some or all of what you need.

an interchange for early 1600/02 two piston calipers with those from an Opel. If you'll drop me an e-mail I'll look it up for you. That might be easier than trying to adapt something else.

Second thought---White Post Restorations (White Post VA) can bore out and sleeve your existing calipers in brass, fit new pistons and you'll not have the rusting/scoring problems again. Price would be comparable with rebuilds...

In any even get 'em fixed! "To stop good is better than to go good."

cheers

mike

Guest Anonymous

320 brake stuff bolts on easy. I have a 68 2002 with single line brakes. right now i have 320 front calipers, m/c , with original front rotors. havent done the 320 drums, backing plates, and wheel cyl. yet. however, i do have later 2002 rear drums (230 mm ) in place of the original 200 mm junk ,so swapping up to 250 mm is going to not require too many brain cells.