BillWilliams

tidbit on color codes and mixing

4 posts / 902 viewsLast Reply

I had a convesation with the fellow who painted my car. He said the first batch of ITC paint he mixed was too brown. He thought about the old formulas and realized lead was a part of the old formulas.

He contacted the manufacture, they did some type of volume analysis and recalulated the formula minus lead. The color then came closer to what we all expect to see as Colorado.

Interesting....makes sense Dad took the tii to the local Maco to asses getting the trunk lid painted for now. Apparantly they said "it won't match perfecty"....I'm a little scared by this and am distancing myself from the whole situation :P

The point about the lead is something everybody doing body work on their cars should remember.

I took the trunk lid off the shell I got and was going to town sanding it down to bare metal in the basement when my wife brought up lead. I blew her off thinking they had stopped using lead by the early 70's, but she insisted on getting it tested. Sure enough there was lead in the paint.

After that I very carefully washed down almost the entire basement (and boy do I have a lot of boxes of junk down there) to get rid of the dust. I felt very foolish but have no desire to put my kids at risk.

you think thats bad?

when I was rear ended last year, I hammerd the panels back together and started welding the seam back together. I noticed that my weld "pool wold form really quickly and when cooling it wild have these copper colored crystals growing off it!!! It was insane. The i realize di was welding on top of lead. So I held my breath while welding from then on :)