Lars

Hit 2002 mile mark this morning, then it wouldn't start....

5 posts / 957 viewsLast Reply

at lunch time. Actually it was on the way back to work from home. So luckily it is in the driveway at home waiting for me. I have no idea why it suddenly wouldn't start. It has been having some trouble in the mornings and I thought the Pertronix air gap was to wide and causing the problem, but it was hard to start again this morning.

Now I'm thinking it is the water choke on the carb, I know there is a screw that adjusts something to do with the butterfly valve, but I have no idea what it is supposed to do. I did mess with it when the carb was off the car.

Also, adjusting the float, I have a brass float, how do I adjust it?

I had a similar problem and I adjusted the screw for the buterflys all the way in until they were wide open and then I screwed it back the other way until the were closed. basically my choke was sticking. get some carb cleaner and spray it down good.

I got home from work and had to move the 02 from behind the van and it started right up. Could it have vapor locked? I thought 02s didn't do that. Maybe my fuel pump is bad.

As for the butterfly valve adjustment screw, where is it supposed to be set? Does it only control the choke setting?

as my late father-in-law (who started mechanicking in 1924) used to tell me, "Mike, 90% of your carburetor problems are in your ignition. Make sure everything in the ign circuit is tip top before you start messing with the *&%[email protected]++ carburetor."

He was almost always right.

mike

and it started much easier. I did that at lunch today, it still isn't quite right because at low RPMs it is bucking.

I need to switch back to the Flamethrower coil and increase the gap on the plugs to try to clean up the exhaust some.