jamesnutter50

15" alpina wheel question

11 posts / 1733 viewsLast Reply

would 15x6 alpina alloy wheels fit directly to a un modified 02?

has anyone got a pic with there car fitted with alpina 15" wheels?

Whats Your opinion?

Regards James

you're thinking of the open face E21 wheels, they're all et 12 offset, which pushes the outer lip quite a bit farther outboard than desireable (most 6" wide wheel that fit '02's properly have offsets around et 25- et 30).

You might get away with them if you don't run too wide a tire (195/50 is probably the outer limit), but if the car's running short springs, odds are you're going to have fender lip interference.

Guest Anonymous

Barry,

Would any wheel that is 15X6.5 with et30 work with the stock springs and shocks and not rub the inner or outer wells. Thanks.

Almost any 195 tire of any diameter will rub slightly on the inner wheelhouse wall at hard lock. Many 195 tires will rub the front fender lip under compression and turning, as when turning into or out of a driveway.

But usually those interferences are minor, and the degree varies from car to car. What you propose will *probably* work, and it will probably work better with a little front fender rolling.

Almost any 195 tire of any diameter will rub slightly on the inner wheelhouse wall at hard lock. Many 195 tires will rub the front fender lip under compression and turning, as when turning into or out of a driveway.

But usually those interferences are minor, and the degree varies from car to car. What you propose will *probably* work, and it will probably work better with a little front fender rolling.

how do you roll the front fenders? i got new replacements from bmw and theres no lip to roll. i rolled the backs before paint but i dont see how anyone could roll the fronts unless the new fenders are different from the originals. i need to dig out my originals and compare.

Here are 15x6" with 195/50 tires, fenders rolled and wheels machined on the backside. They still rub a little at full lock. Oh yea, suspension has been lowered with Korman springs and Bilstien sports.

Garry

post-432-13667568747805_thumb.jpg

Here are 15x6" with 195/50 tires, fenders rolled and wheels machined on the backside. They still rub a little at full lock. Oh yea, suspension has been lowered with Korman springs and Bilstien sports.

Garry

But those wheels have been modified to have 6mm more offset (so 18mm total).

Guest Anonymous

do you think they would still rub a little even if my car is not lowered and fenders roller. what offset should i use?

Regards james

Apply the roller wheel at an angle such that it contacts the lip and the crease above it, then stretch the whole mess.

Thanks schnell540. I knew the wheels had been machined on the backside, but did not know/remember the precise amount. I appreciate your response.

Garry