Sign in to follow this  
ClayW

Rainwater in my glovebox.......

8 posts / 927 viewsLast Reply

What gives? Every time it rains, I get some water in my glove box. I have a 6 month old front windshield seal, so it can't be that. What else should I look at replacing?

I'm looking into Megasquirt II, bu not until I can keep it from taking a bath every time it rains....

Thanks in advance.

I'd be inclined to suspect that when the new windshield was installed it did not get sufficient sealing compound put in around the gasket and you're getting a little leak there. If it was done @ a shop I'd take it back to them.

Bob Napier

leaks can be VERY sneaky--like coming from the top of the windshield) you might also make sure nothing's getting in around the heater. This can happen if the "elephant trunks" (the rubber drain tubes at the bottom of the heater plenum chamber) get plugged up (very easy) and allow the chamber to collect water. It only has to be 3/4" deep before it gets to the seam between heater and firewall, and starts invading that 30 + year old seam sealer. A convenient wire or other path might just direct the leak right into your glovebox.

cheers

mike

....after installing the NEW windsheild seal - one MUST inject

window silicone sealer between the glass and seal, and between the seal and body at all corners- and most of the straight sections - ALL PER THE BMW REPAIR MANUAL AND normal procedure. Just your seal alone will not eliminate water entry.

It pains me to disagree with c.d., but I must. First, after you replace a windshield seal, don't put any schmutz in there. Chances are it won't leak, and you won't have to clean up that crud the next time. Second, if you need to use something, use a pliable sealer that's not silicone. Silicone sealer is a bitch to clean off later, and it never seems to adhere completely anyway.

....after installing the NEW windsheild seal - one MUST inject

window silicone sealer between the glass and seal, and between the seal and body at all corners- and most of the straight sections - ALL PER THE BMW REPAIR MANUAL AND normal procedure. Just your seal alone will not eliminate water entry.

And I too disagree. No sealer's usually necessary with a new seal, if you don't have a bunch of rust. If you do, or are reusing a REALLY old seal, the only real thing to use is called 'bedding compound' by 3m- it's a non- hardening mastik that will help the seal out. It is indeed gross, but can be cleaned with good glass cleaner. DON'T use windshield glue- that's for 1980s Firebirds and the like with glued- in glass.

The body of a 2002 flexes a bit (sometimes more) and any 'solid' sealer will give it up over time. The bedding compound will flow, and maintain a seal.

No silicone. That's for tubs. And other things...

t