Sign in to follow this  
peteinjp

kind of a weird one- stumped

11 posts / 1092 viewsLast Reply

Haven't been under the car yet but here's the deal. The trangular bolt/ flange dealy that sandwiches the lead donut between the down pipe and the resonator is arranged i such a way that it hits the tunnel from time to time. I little rotation and the problem will dissappear. But the weird part is that in the rain it bangs against the tunnel muchmore than when its dry. Actually the only time it bangs when dry is when reversing up a hill. But the tranny moves all over the place in the rain! It bangs into the tunnel like crazy. Why is it? I'll be under the car tomorrow and will report back.

Besides checking the motor mounts, look closely at the subframe by the driver's side mount. They crack!!!!

In reverse the mounts are flexed the opposite of what's normally done to them. Also when it rains - and this is just a wild guess - perhaps the water cools the exhaust so the expansion is less even? Possibly more expansion on one side than the other or bottom versus top, causing it to bend or hit???

Unless you've recently done a POOR 5-spd install motor & transmission mounts will solve this in 30 minutes.

You could have a bad plug wire causing a mis-fire on one cylinder when it rains. That would cause a lot more engine shake on rainy days.

That's a good response! I suspect the mounts are the problem, but I think you nailed the rain issue.

1. Bad tranny mounts cause all sorts of weird problems--vibration, intermittent banging etc. Yer rear mount may be essentially separated, and the rain lubricates the two halves enough to allow more motion than when dry (when the mounts go, they get gooey and sticky; rain makes 'em slick). Replace with an E21 or Bavaria tranny mount. Much larger and sturdier.

2. You didn't mention your car's year, but if it was built sometime before mid-late 70, check your pax side motor mount bracket. They were pretty flimsy, and stress cracked. Later cars have much sturdier brackets, and swapping is easy once you've blocked the engine up.

Hope it's something easy...

mike

forgot to mention that the motor mounts and tranny have about 15,000 miles on them max. Rear mount is e21. The problem exists due to the fit of the supersprint exhaust which for whatever reason hangs a little to the right. there was no contact in the tunnel until I repositioned the triangle flange in a quick roadside repair (replaced the superspint header with the stock setup due to broken exhaust studs. I'm wondering if the rear mount is split or loose and the rain lubes it up. Report back soon.

My E21 tranny mount had around that sort of mileage and I was also getting too much movement. Ended up replacing it with a UUC mount with their tranny enforcer. It really does work, its a stiffer version of the E21 mount with a little metal cap.

cracked subframe on the left motor mount arm. But that still doesn't explain why it rubs worse when its raining!?