Sign in to follow this  
DannyWOT

Stuck Brake adjuster

3 posts / 725 viewsLast Reply

Well I was hoping to have my sons 2002 up and going for VIR this weekend. Hope is slipping away. I have replaced shocks/springs, brake lines, and bushings. Now I am all most done and I have a left rear drum that is too tight and a frozen adjuster. HELP.

Thanks Danny

1. remove drum

2. remove brake shoes

3. crank up propane or acytelene torch (use a very small tip), and heat either the adjuster bolt head or the base of the adjuster peg inside the backing plate. Squirt some penetrating oil on the hot adjuster (have squirt bottle handy to put out the fire). Be careful not to burn the rubber dust boot on the wheel cylinder.

4. To prevent rounding the bolt, grab the hot peg with some vice grips and work it back and forth. Repeat heat, lube and vice grips until the adjuster is nice and free, then lubricate with some heavier oil while it's still warm.

5. Reinstall everything, saving the best swear words for reinstalling the lower shoe retaining spring...

6. Promise yourself to adjust the brakes every year or so to prevent reoccurrance...

Has worked for me many times...

mike

you can get at it from the inside with a pipe wrench on the round part (assuming everything is removed.) Then you can get some real leverage with plenty of room.