Sign in to follow this  
winstontj

EDIS - Ford crank wheel?

5 posts / 1048 viewsLast Reply

Was reading Tim's page and thought maybe for a starter I could hook up the crank wheel and sensor from a Ford EDIS system and makeshift substitute it in place of a pertronix/points???

Is this a dumb idea? Just thought that maybe it would get me one step closer to distributorless ignition????

As always your thoughts are appreciated!

TJW

You'd still need something to control it like Megasquirt to take care of the curve tables, i.e. advance and retard. Definitely worth doing if you plan on going the FI route later. Take a look at www.finkbuilt.com and check out what Fink did.

But if I simply use the crank wheel to replace the points - just like a pertronix, then the distributor would continue to have the advance/retard function correct? And later when I am ready to, I can install the MS with ignition control. Am I missing something major here? I have a feeling that it really could be that easy? no???

The pertronix mounts to the part in the distributor that sets ( moves ) the spark advance/retard. So you would not have any controll over the timing except for static, it won't do anything else.

ahhh yes. the wheel part is on the shaft with the advance.... umm guess I'll be running a distributor for a while longer!