Bradley82

Platinum v. Copper

5 posts / 586 viewsLast Reply

I read all the backlogged posts. Everyone seems to say go with W8DCs for the most part. They're copper. What's the difference between this and going with platinums? Do the platinums just have resistors?

Thanks.

have never found platinum to be an improvement for the 2002, E30 or E28 - in fact was detrimental to operability. Stick with the Bosch or NGK plug with proper heat range - it's worked for nearly 40 years!

I thought it was the 7's not the 8's but I guess the only difference is the 8's are a slightly hotter plug and the 7's came stock??? I'm trying 7's in #2,3 & 4 and an 8 in #1 because #1 was fouling horribly and it seems to be doing the trick.

EDIT: No idea about platnum or resistors - only the "Smart Fellow" at the Autozone counter told me that Bosch Platinum or Platinum-4 is the "only way to go" because my car will "run like crap on anything else"... but he also didn't believe me that BMW made cars in 1974 either

ya I seem to recall folk saying the platinums run too hot or something

the ol wdc7 or wdc8 have been firing pretty good all these years

they seem to work great in both '02s...tried Bosch plugs in my Nissan V6 pickup and had a persistant part throttle miss--installed NGKs and the miss disappeared.

Platinum plugs are meant for new(ish) cars with very high voltage ignition systems. The center electrodes are about 25% the diameter of a conventional plug, and will foul much easier if not subjected to a real voltage jolt. In new cars they last a LONG time (over 100k on the original plugs in wife's 91 Acura, and they were still fine and unworn when removed). But the conventional wisdom is, don't use 'em in an '02--too much negative has been written by folks who tried.

mike