Sign in to follow this  
B-Doon

A little more help needed!!!

5 posts / 821 viewsLast Reply

I’m almost done with my marathon tranny swap…

It may not sound like much, but for someone with limited mechanical experience, and no help(save those via the faq) this will be quite an accomplishment for me. This project that began with a $100 used tranny to swap has blossomed into a $700 project. My wife is having a fit as I’m between jobs currently and that money was not intended for the 02.

Well anyway, I only have 2 more questions. I know everyone is tired of my questions. After getting this far and looking back at some of my previous posts, some of them were moronic…..Anyway, I have removed the tranny, replaced the pilot bearing, replaced the rear main seal, had the flywheel resurfaced, spent 2 hours today making a “shim” for the flywheel with my dremmel….what a PITA(my drill would not hold the bits large enough to do the job). I have replaced the clutch/pressure plate, and rebuilt the shifter…I’m in the process of getting the “new” tranny(praying it will work) ready, and I have some questions about the assembly of the clutch lever and that piddly little coat hanger like piece of metal that makes everything work….

Question 1. I can’t remember how it goes in. When I try to assemble it the rounded part does not stay over the “anchor” on the bell housing. Which way does the spring thing go? I can’t tell if it is upside down or not as it fits poorly in both positions. It easilt slips off the little ball both ways...And what about the rubber grommet I am holding??? I know it came off the clutch release lever, but I can’t remember if it is placed down by the slave pushrod, or up in the spot where the pivot ball in the bell housing is…Does anyone have a good pic or diagram?

Question 2.

When installing the transmission, how do you get the splines on the tranny to mesh with the splines on the clutch plate??? This looks difficult. Do I put grease on the output shaft of the tranny and jiggle it back and forth to “work” it in???

Thanks,

Brian

72 inka

clutch1.jpg

clutch2.jpg

clutch3.jpg

clean the trans shaft splines cleaner than you have now - all rust and dirt off. Then brush into the splines a special MOLY LUB , high temp - no fling

lubricant - like BMW Motorcycle Spline lub #10 - from any M/C dealer or on-line - and brush the same lub in the friction disk splines - not ecessive.

AND the rubber cup as pictured holds the same lub on the ball piviot against the lever -

AND YES - THERE IS A CLUTCH ALIGNMENT TOOL FOR centering the friction disk - less than $10 from places like Pelican Parts - and as you engage the trans up into the motor - hand rotate the tail flange to engage the splines - have the steering full lock to one side for clearance - block up-support the front of the motor so the rear is angled down slightly - have the cell phone dialed to 9.1._ so when it drops on yer head - you can dial the last 1 and 'send' for medical assistance . Work Safe.

7-3249946.JPG

TOOL

ca60.jpg

Thanks CD,

I've got the alignment tool, and I found some suitable lube from a local engine rebuilder....As for lifting the bellhousing in place.....I'll wait until my wife is home so SHE can dial 911...actually the car isn't that high up, and I can easily use my arm to brace the trans up at just about the right level for connecting it....

Thank you once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

Guest Anonymous

the rubber grommet goes between the spring and the lever. That holds the spring far enough out so it will pop over the ball and hold. I just got finished with the same job and got hung up on that point as well. Hope that helps....steve