Sign in to follow this  
70roundtail02

Quick rear diff question

4 posts / 611 viewsLast Reply

On the new 02 the rear diff looks newer and I am trying to figure out if it is an upgraded one. Here are some of the things I got off of it.

In yellow there is 429 written can't tell if there is a dot but that is on the side.

On the bottom some of the casting I could read had a very large raised 88, and in another section GGG

On the tag was stamped 114OA4490.

Any help would be great thanks

Tristan

Guest Anonymous

It is a 3.64 ratio open differential. It is not the original differential so yes it was replaced. The prior owner had a differential failure and replaced it with a factory rebuilt unit.

[email protected]

remove the rear cover and count the ring and pinion teeth,

look for the stamped ring gear numbers stating the ratio also, and if a 'can' appearing unit is next to the ring gear - it's a limited slip - which means if you rotate one rear wheel - the other wheel will rotate in the same direction (car on lift). You need to tell us if it's open or limited-slip because the lubricant requirement is different. Better find out.