Sign in to follow this  
02fanatic

Valve stem question (for early factory alloys)

7 posts / 895 viewsLast Reply

Hey all:

I bought some rubber valve stems for my recently completed early factory alloys (did the repaint myself-not half bad for an amateur), and the rubber stems don't seem to be deep enough for the 10 to 12 mm thickness of the alloy hole in the wheels...they seem to be ok (my '73tii has similar stems), but I wonder if they will hold air adequately.

I am wondering if I should go with metal stems...may look better also. There appears to be enough flat surface area to bring the nut up tight and not leak....I had a leaking problem with the metal stems on my BWA's so I was somewhat leary to go with metal stems again.

Any suggestions?

Any good sourses for valve stems?

I have decided to mount 205/60/13 Sumitomo's on these wheels and mount them on my '76 (not period correct I know), but I love these wheels...the BBS's are always dirty and tough to clean.

Thanks for any help.

John

post-197-13667568490955_thumb.jpg

John,

The alloys look great!!.Please let me know how the 205 Sumis work out.

Thanks

Jonathan

John,

There is a tire shop here in D.C called Radial Tire 301-585-2740.Serious PCA,BMWCCA,SCCA sponsers-supporters.I've used them for 20+ years.They are excellant w/ odd and specialized applications.If I can help you source the stems,just let me know.

Jonathan

jgm at starpower dot net

I bought 'em in 1990--replaced 'em (corrosion was forming around them) when I mounted new tires in 1991 and have had no problems since...through several sets of tires.

Ask a tire place, as there are plenty of alloy wheels these days at least as thick as the BMW's...and you won't have to worry about dissimilar metal corrosion with rubber valve stems.

cheers

mike

Thanks Curt & Mike:

But I already ordered 4 stems from Bav Auto ($5.95 each)...maybe I'll clear coat them before I install them for some added protection Mike. I really like the look of the metal stems if they will work ok.