Sign in to follow this  
72touring

Rear end woes...

6 posts / 1053 viewsLast Reply

I started my 1971 2002 last night. Everything sounded perfectly normal. I let the clutch out and felt a loud thud that appeared to come from the back. I push the clutch in and release again. This time all I get is high whine and no movement/power to rear wheels. As I let the car roll into another parking spot (with engine off, ignition on, car in neutral), I noticed a pronounced clicking sound. I haven't had a chance yet to crawl under it. Guibo failure I've experienced in the past sounded nothing like this. Thoughts? And as always, thanks in advance...

There are likely a number of possibilites.... one of them is a failure of the spline in the rear stub axle, that connects the half-shaft/CV Joint assembly to the rear wheel hub.

Not one of the first things you might think of... but the symptoms you describe appear to fit.

Good luck...

Sounds like a busted CV joint to me.

Easy to check, crawl under there and grab an axel, give it a good shake, it shouldn't move at all.

can loosen, then break one at a time 'till they're all gone. And without a limited slip, you're going nowhere! Happened to me twice--first time I caught the loose bolts, the second time I had to do a parking lot repair.

mike

can loosen, then break one at a time 'till they're all gone. And without a limited slip, you're going nowhere! Happened to me twice--first time I caught the loose bolts, the second time I had to do a parking lot repair.

mike

ditto.. happened to me about a year ago. pretty simple fix..just replace the bolts or retighten them. Hope that is it. Cheaper than all the other possibilities.