PSloan

What kind of rear reflectors came on 1600s?

10 posts / 1447 viewsLast Reply

This car is confusing me. I thought 1600s didnt have the ridiculous reflectors that 2002s had? did someone really go through the trouble to mount these, or am I missing something? What other things could let me know wherher this car is a 2002 or a 1600?

post-635-13667568490038_thumb.jpg

Neither 2002s nor 1600s came with reflectors until the latter part of 1969 when they started using the 4 piston brake calipers. After the first half of 1969 all cars had the reflectors. It's almost impossible to know whether a car was originally a 2002 or 1600 unless you start looking through the interior, underneath and the engine compartment. The VIN # is the only sure way of knowing. A 1968 2002 will throw many people for a loop because it is much closer in many respects to an early 1600 compared to later 02s. Likewise later 1600s resemble the later 2002s in more ways than the earlier 1600s.

Slavs

VIN 1664760 for '02s) didn't have the reflectors mounted on the rear body panel. Not sure when they were added, but suspect sometime in 1970 as stated. I had previously thought they were part of the "Modell 71" changes (lower rubber side moulding, longer rear bumper ends, rubber bumper strips etc) but apparently not.

A quick look in the parts book will give you the exact VIN for both US 1600s and 2002s...for when these rear reflectors were added.

mike

Mid-69 was the change to reflectors, I had an early 70 that had them. You know it was a 1600 if it has a 4.11 ratio diff, and look at the side of the head near the firewall and you will see a 118 stamped there. Of course it could be a 1600 with a 2002 motor which is fairly common aftermarket swap. The head would be a 121 instead of 118. Also many 1600's did not have a tach, rather a clock in its place.

It has the engine from a 74 - a short neck diff - a very early tach with a late wooden closter - a 5 speed tranny - single line brakes and late grills.

It's kind of a frankenstein.

What's the VIN? A 1600 should be 150xxxx to 160xxxx I believe. My 67 is 1517644 whcih is very early, I think my 70 was 156xxxx or 157xxxx ranges. Last 1600 was 1971 so I am guessing Vin may go up to 160xxxx range at the most.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, that seems like a 70-71 1600 VIN. However, VIN's from BMW back them seemed to be all over the place and not necessarily consistant. When you look at the 2002 registry you see some VINs starting with 155xxxx that claim to be earlier cars than my 67 at 151xxxx for example. Probably a difference from Euro to US cars but I don't know why.