Sign in to follow this  
hpsenicka

Special tools FAQ?

3 posts / 3971 viewsLast Reply

I am thinking there would be interest in compiling a reference FAQ of special/favourite tools, particularly those that are especially well suited or unique to the BMW 2002.

I am prepared to co-ordinate, edit and compile the FAQ, but I would like members to volunteer their favorite unique examples....

The information content should include:

1. Description of toolto include any/all of the following as appropriate... (photo, name/function, brand/part#, cost, size, cost, vendor/availability, etc...)

2. Basic how-to to describe use, preferably with illustrative photo.

3. Review of pros/cons, comparison with other similar tools if applicable.

It may also be useful to include examples of specialized tools that DON'T work well with the BMW... to provide members some guidance as to what tools can be avoided.

Comments? Would it make more sense to captue this info under the appropriate mechanical section rather than creating another FAQ?

I am thinking there would be interest in compiling a reference FAQ of special/favourite tools, particularly those that are especially well suited or unique to the BMW 2002.

Comments? Would it make more sense to captue this info under the appropriate mechanical section rather than creating another FAQ?

Its a good idea, how about starting it off? (beyond just suggesting the idea! ;)) I can think of a few places a "special" tool has to be made/found such as a thin box to fit the driveshaft bolt, etc. hmmmmm... cant really think of anything else other than a lil allen to help with adjusting valves, ..... hmmmmmmmm....... :)

not an original by me, but here it goes

7/16s all thread around a foot long (fine if you can find it, i used coarse and it lasted for all the rear, all the front and the installation of some up front)

2 nuts to fit the rod with a small washer that sits on the bushing, then gradually bigger ones to fit a piece of pipe 1.5" diameter(i think it took me like 3 or 4 washers.)

This works by putting the pipe on the end that you will be pulling the bushing, so that it ends up inside the pipe when its out, or if installing, the small lip on the far end will end up inside the pipe. then just tighten the two nuts toward eachother. Lubing the bushing for installation is a must, use silicone spray or soapy water. pretty simple and effective.