DakarDoug

What tire size for 15" wheels works best?

12 posts / 1479 viewsLast Reply

Looking to get some 15" whels and wondering what tire size works best so as not to throw off the speedometer too much and prevent any rubbing. I want something similar to the original height from ground to top of tire for the 13" wheel. Thanks.

195/50/15 but you didnt state offset. around 29et is perfect with the sizes mentioned

My e30 basket weaves (15x7) have et24 and don't rub. I've got the car lowered with coilovers all round and use 195x50's.

I just put new rubber on some original 13 inch steel wheels for my 1600-2 and thought it would be funny to stick these on the M2 for a quick drive. Of course, I'd forgotten they wouldn't fit over my big brakes, but not before I'd compared the two wheels side by side - the new 165/80 13's were considerably taller than my 195/50 15's. Even accounting for their brand new tread.

So I went back to one of the online tyre size calculators and actually 195/55 15's are closer to original spec, although everyone seems to use 50's.

I think I'll give 55's a go next time round to give the suspension a little more compliance for road use. If it's a track car then it's different matter..

Yo Doug...it's Ben in Monterey.

Are you in Sicily still? How's the bambino? Fully gassed and a ready?

it is more likely to have clearance problems than a 195/50-15. The outside diameter is about 1% smaller than stock, while the O.D. of 195/50-15 is about 4% smaller than stock. It's not a huge difference -- just a matter of more fender rolling or whatever.

there are a couple of 02s running around here. Most are 1602's. A guy who works in my building has a turbo in pristine condition. I did an upgrade since I got here. I put some 40mm dell'orto sidedrafts on...she screams now. How are things in Monterey? Glad to see you got back online. How is the car running? Next time will have to show you pics of my latest car...a 1970 Fiat 500! Take care.

Nice, Doug, with the sidedrafts, you make a good Italian. Tell me you've driven the turbo?? My car's hanging tough. Pulled the front bumper off cuz someone tapped it and one of the arms is bent. No other mods unfortunately, though I'm itching to get more speed out of her...just have to pinch my pennies. I just moved (still in Monterey) and will have a regular email address soon, but drop a line at: [email protected]

I run 195/50/15 Bridgestone S-03's - Panasport 15x6 ET29 - Eibach springs. My fender lips are rolled up but I'm not 100% sure that's necessary. Here she is!

post-668-13667568628247_thumb.jpg