Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Rust in spare wheel well and driver's footwell

12 posts / 1274 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of buying a 2002 and it has some rust in these areas. The bottom of the doors and the sills seem fine. Has anybody ever had rust cut out and fixed in these places? Is either area a problem for rust?

Also, the motor as twin 45 webers and 300deg cam. It's a quick car, but a few searches here suggest people feel it's too much. It wouldn't be a daily driver, but would the fuel consumption just be absurd?

Cheers,,

T

Both the places you mention are common for rust. They arent that visable places so are fairly easy to fix. Of course its always recommended to use metal when repairing especially in these places. Check out the Project Polaris in the Project Blog section and on page 7 you can see how the repair to the drivers side footwell was done.

The engine setup you mention is not unheard of on a street car but isnt that common for a daily driver as they do go through the juice. Anyway, if you get the car, you could just sell the 45's and get what you desire! The cam is said to be a good match to a twin carb setup too just fyi. Gotta love that lumpy idle ;-)

Good luck!

Tom

Guest Anonymous

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Sydney actually, so nice to hear there are some Aussies on here. Don't know that I could do the rust repair myself, so you wouldn't have an idea of how much [very roughly] some repairs like that might be?

Also, with the fuel consumption, I'm trying to work out a [once again a very rough] idea of the best and worst figures. I don't need a car for everyday driving, so it doesn't matter too much.

How far could I get on a tank if I drive "gently"? ;-p 300kms? 150kms?

I realise these questions have a million answers, but anybody who has a similar setup I'd be keen to hear from.

Cheers..

Tubbsy

Another Oz guy here (Melbourne) I have a Weber 32/36 on my daily driver and my fuel consumption varies greatly - city driving (idling in traffic) 13mpg (17.8L/100km) and hwy driving 24mpg (9.75L/100km). The motor is very tired and has a stock cam. I can only imagine that twin sidies and 300 deg cam would be thirstier, but it depends on your driving style and the traffic. I have dealt with rust in the drivers foot well too, I took out the bitumen sound deadener, wire brushed it, gave the car to the local shop and they welded a plate in it, cost me $100. Good luck with it. Beaner7102

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Sydney actually, so nice to hear there are some Aussies on here. Don't know that I could do the rust repair myself, so you wouldn't have an idea of how much [very roughly] some repairs like that might be?

Also, with the fuel consumption, I'm trying to work out a [once again a very rough] idea of the best and worst figures. I don't need a car for everyday driving, so it doesn't matter too much.

How far could I get on a tank if I drive "gently"? ;-p 300kms? 150kms?

I realise these questions have a million answers, but anybody who has a similar setup I'd be keen to hear from.

Cheers..

Tubbsy

Good to see another Aussie! Lets see some shots of the car! :-D

The rust repairs to the areas you mention shouldnt be much at all really. Guesstimate around $200 maybe. Also depends on who does it. Im going by roughly what the guy i used would charge (maybe a bit less than i said) - but obviously get a quote.

The car in my sig has twin 40's (untuned :-S)and a 300 degree cam. We got around 315km on run down the Great Ocean Rd and through the Otways. Some of these Km's were city driving, however most of it was highway and the car was being pushed fairly hard. *cough*topped out at 170ish*cough*...

As you said, there are a million other answers to that question ;-)

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the responses guys.

So you reckon 300k's from a tank should be attainable? The tank is only 40 litres right?

I liked the noise and performance from the 45's so I would be keen to keep them, but occasionally I drive a few hundred k's on the freeway and to be stopping all the time would be a bore.

Now I haven't owned a car with carbies in a while, and I read here that the Webers can be a bit truculent. I'm not much of a mechanic, so how often are the carbs likely to want a tune up?

Thanks for the responses guys.

So you reckon 300k's from a tank should be attainable? The tank is only 40 litres right?

I liked the noise and performance from the 45's so I would be keen to keep them, but occasionally I drive a few hundred k's on the freeway and to be stopping all the time would be a bore.

Now I haven't owned a car with carbies in a while, and I read here that the Webers can be a bit truculent. I'm not much of a mechanic, so how often are the carbs likely to want a tune up?

I think the tank is 43 litres (but dont quote me)

I think if you were driving on the freeway, you wouldnt have too many problems with fuel consumption, but obviously the figure is going to be lower than a car with fuel injection or a single carby. My figure was for untuned carbies... so id imagine the figure would be much better for tuned... but you are running 45's and im running 40's...

Guest Anonymous

I guess I keep re-posting the same thing because I don't know a lot about carbies. I haven't bought this car [yet], I just want to know that I can go for a drive of a few hundred k's without stopping for petrol the whole time. Anyway, I'll stop on the fuel consumption thing for now.

Why do you run your carbies un-tuned? Is it difficult/expensive to get this done [surely not]? How long do you find it takes them to lose their tune?

Cheers..

tt

I guess I keep re-posting the same thing because I don't know a lot about carbies. I haven't bought this car [yet], I just want to know that I can go for a drive of a few hundred k's without stopping for petrol the whole time. Anyway, I'll stop on the fuel consumption thing for now.

Why do you run your carbies un-tuned? Is it difficult/expensive to get this done [surely not]? How long do you find it takes them to lose their tune?

Cheers..

tt

The simple answer is... you wont be stopping for fuel the whole time BUT you will be stopping more than if you were running a single carb or fuel injection. Really, if your looking for better fuel consumption, 45's are not the way to go...

Why do i run the carbies untuned?... good question haha, It all boils down to lack of time to take the car somewhere to get them tuned. Ive had the car for about 1 and a half years and in that time havnt tuned them. The carbies are Dellorto's which are notoriously worse for going out of sync than Webers IIRC.

No, its not that expensive to get them retuned - finding a place that works with carbies is the hardest part :-P

Tom

Edit/ Btw, is this the car your looking at?

picture005.jpg

Tubbsy!!!

Welcome mate!

Good to see more Aussies making our way here to this kick ass resource.

Rust repair is a hard one. It really depends on where it is. I have "The Polaris Project" that Tom recommended you have a look at int he project blog area. I had a fairly large hole in the floor and had it tidied up at my panel shop as part of my project. I am still awaiting (read: Dreading) the final bill.

The area is pretty flat so it is simple enough to repair. The more amount of work you do, the cheaper it will be obviously so strip it down as much as you can... (I took it back to bare metal myself and let them do the repair) I tried to get it to look as untampered with as possible as well.

Twin 45s are not really a great option for daily driving, but I bet they would be damn fun for all other occasions! I guess it is really what sort of value you put on driving. When I had my car tuned, I got it tuned for performance rather than economy. The bloke said it would use about 1 extra litre per month based on the amount iof driving I told them.

Get the Weber tuning book and give it a shot yourself! Hahaha I'd love to list on my CV under attributes "Can tune a Weber carbie by ear"

Todd

Guest Anonymous

The car pictured is indeed the one.

The car would be mainly a weekend car, but it would still be my only car. Fuel consumption is not an issue of cost so much as convenience. So if I can get 300k's on the highway or so without stopping that's good enough for me....