madjurgen

M2 driveline

8 posts / 1379 viewsLast Reply

Dropping a S14 along with the US265 tranny into my 2002. I want to use a e21 diff as well.

Can someone please fill in the blank with 100% absolute confidence as to which driveshaft will work without modifications? Ive searched and emailed and I still havent found a sure answer. Some say they think the e30m3 driveshaft will fit without modifications, I also read somewhere that a 2002 automatic ds will work.

It's tough to say with assurance. By this time these cars vary so much (accidents you may or may not know about, varying motormounts, diffs shimmed different amounts, etc) that you are safer to take your 2002 driveshaft, install one end, measure, and then have it shortened.

Ian

'76 M2

Per my research, NOT experience, the e30 M3 d-shaft will work with the m3 tranny without modifcation. I believe this is how Nick Vyse has his M2 set up, though some cutting of the tranny tunnel is required for clearance. The consensus, however, is to go with the e21 g 265. The popular diff is the e21 3.90 lsd, though I have the 4.11 in the 1600. Still weighing the pros-cons of which ratio to use.

Per my research, NOT experience, the e30 M3 d-shaft will work with the m3 tranny without modifcation. I believe this is how Nick Vyse has his M2 set up, though some cutting of the tranny tunnel is required for clearance. The consensus, however, is to go with the e21 g 265. The popular diff is the e21 3.90 lsd, though I have the 4.11 in the 1600. Still weighing the pros-cons of which ratio to use.

Mad Jurgen has already emailed me direct - I don't think he put his question across very clearly - he wants to know if the m3 driveshaft bolts right up to the e21 diff. I told him I'm 99 percent sure it does, and realoem certainly looks to back that up.

Once again I can confirm mine fitted in without cutting and know of several others that have done the same. The concenus for the e21 box is because the US didn't get the close ratio m3 box, so you'd have to import one from Europe. All the European conversions I have seen use the close ratio box, usually with a 3.45:1.

That would mean a M3 driveshaft can fit a 02 with a 5 speed upgrade fom a 320i??

Pat Allen

That would mean a M3 driveshaft can fit a 02 with a 5 speed upgrade fom a 320i??

Pat Allen

dunno, doubt it. what we're talking about, as per his first post, is s14 + 265 close ratio 5 speed box from the m3, + m3 driveshaft + e21 diff + a 2002!

Doubt the 265 box is the same length as an e21 245/5

Strut bar came from, err, I think it was jaymic in the UK, but can't remember for sure. Walloth and Nesch has something that looks the same.