Sign in to follow this  
mikebikerad

setting #1 at tdc,.... for dummies

3 posts / 876 viewsLast Reply

Im removing my head for a new gasket and i ran into the tdc prob. I tried rolling the car in forth gear. I've got the car sittin with both #1 cylinder valves closed and the exaust valve just about to open. i wasn't sure if the exaust valve rocker should be up a little bit or not to be on tdc. The dizzy rotor is pointing 3 or 4 millimeters before #1 spark plug spot. i cant find the mark on the dizzy that i was reading about. a little help for a first timer?

mike

75 2002

Line up the hashmark on the cam behind the timing sprocket with the flat portion of the head under the oil rail like shown and you'll be golden.

(assuming that you haven't removed the sprocket and rotated the engine with the head off...)

post-67-13667568485715_thumb.jpg

TDC or #1 on the distributor is pretty much pointing towards the back clip (the clip that holds on the distributor cap) -My Haynes manual helped some, but #1 is pointing towards the rear clip. Good luck.