Benz02

bumper removal question

10 posts / 1393 viewsLast Reply

Hey all,

I drive a pre 71 '02, with the short bumpers. I removed the front bumper yesterday, but ran into a problem with the left attatching arm. More specifically, the bolt that is closest to the front of the car will not recess enough to slide the arm out. Nor will it fall out if I remove it from its set slot....it's too close to the frame rail. The arm itself is slightly more bent (to the right) where it emerges from the car than it should be and I'm wondering if this has altered the geometry enough to where I can't get it out enough to clear the bolt. Any suggestions? Sorry I don't have a pic..

Thanks,

Benzo

'71 verona

me through wrenches, but Ol Man Patience prevailed. This is one of the problems will fight you all the way, but remember, you will win in the end.

I can't explain this very well, but you will see what I talk about it when you get it off.

Those bolts M8s I believe, two on each side ar captured in a slot in the frame rail with a bendy tab in the middle. I wish I would have taken a picture of it.

However, to get those buggers off, you may have to lower the subframe a bit to make the angle work. What I did was remove the front and rear subframe bolts, one at a time and placed longer bolts in those holes, then remove the middle one slowly, lowering the subframe. The two longer bolts will keep the subframe from falling on your face.

When it came down far enough, you can slide the bumper brackets out.

Now, putting those bolts back in, keeping them is those slots, getting the brackets on and the subframe back up, rates right up there with placing the retaining clip on the brake booster and hooking up the hearter control valve.

If there is any easier way, I hope some one posts it for next time.

Good luck my friend!

Gosh, Bill, Sometimes knowledge is a depressing thing. I can't wait to do my bumper swap on the 76... Seriously, good info and thanks, and now we print....and file. Dave V. in NC

Sheesh...that seems like a lot for one bolt. I was considering just filing the head a bit to see if I could get it to drop out that way! But, if all else fails, I'll try it. I also noticed that the recessed tabs appear to be adjustable...well, with some persuasion that is...maybe that would work by pushing them in a bit to allow room for the bolt to recess. One of the other bolts has already fallen inside though, not sure if I'll ever get it out..

Thnaks,

Benzo

until it collapes in towards the inside of the framerail and the bolt dissappears.

If you take the bumper bracket off, you may be able to get the lost bolt with a magnet.

Thanks for the advice you guys. Much appreciated. I have the rail off on the right side and a magnet was my next step to try and get the lost bolt. I've been considering the whole problem of removing these rails considerably, as I am hamstrung on one bloody bolt. Perhaps a slightly shorter front bolt would help resolve the difficulty. And, it would appear that even if the tabs were broken or bent in, the slots would still accept the bolts....or do they need to be there?

Thanks

The bolt came out without problems....no filing, no undoing the subframe, just a different day and a better mojo.

The front bumper bolts thru '72 are actually carriage bolts with their threaded ends facing you--so they look like studs. They fit into keyhole-shaped slots in the front frame rails.

In an ideal world with no rust, you remove the brackets by first removing the bumper blades/overriders etc from the bumper brackets, so all that's left on the car are the two brackets.

Next loosen the nuts on the carriage bolts, and slide the bracket forward (with nuts still attached) until the carriage bolts slide out of the keyholes' narrow ends. Once they're clear, you can then remove the carriage bolt/nut from the bracket (grab the carriage bolt head with a pair of vicegrips) and just slide the bracket thru the hole in the front valence, or leave the bolts in place and more carefully slide the bracket thru (you'll have to remove the rubber grommet first)

If the slots, carriage bolts etc are all boogered up (and mine came out with little trouble after 30 OH winters) you can remount the brackets like the factory did with the larger, heavier '73 (only) brackets--drill thru the frame rails and use long bolts.

cheers

mike

below the frame rails. To remove loosen nuts and pull forward until bolt heads are free of thier retaining slots. Using one hand pull the bolt heads tight against the bracket. Push bracket back and down with the other hand until the bolts are below the frame rail.

yep...I had to push the arm in to get enough clearence for the front bolt to drop. The arm is really close to the rail without much wiggle room. The head of the bolt was resting on the rail it was so close (after pulling it from the slot), yet somehow I found an angle and it dropped. I tried for a few hours to do this on saturday, all in vain. Sunday I went back to it and it came out on my first try!

Benzo

'71 verona