• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think?

Pinepig

I went with 195-50-15s all the way around.

Yes it needs to be lowered, I think about an inch and a half should be about right, but I'm more after the proper handling than the height, gotta do some research. ( and I'm broke as a joke AGAIN )

Man the board is acting really funky, ssllllloooooooowwwwww.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

NICE! All cleaned up and shaven(side markers that is). Are those the BBS Jr's that came on the A2 GTI's? Gotta love the traditional mesh design.

Cris

post-178-13667568472537_thumb.jpg

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Yep BBS Jrs or RMs as they are called off the early 90s Jettas.

The downside is the lips are SOFT, just look at em and they will bend. I did a little research and Schmidt makes a stainless steel lip that bolts right on and is not much heavier and tough as nails. I can see another 5 bills shot to hell in my future.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

That car looks really hott! I agree that a drop will help even more. I also think that once you drop it, you will feel more happy with the current look. Maybe not less inclined to add an air dam, but more inclined to not care whether or when you add an air dam.

I cut my stock coils per the Robspeed spec - 1 1/2 coil front and 1 coil rear. It is a nice drop, fairly tight and pretty, but I also have the front bumper removed and it would be better if the front end was another 1/2" lower, appearance-wise. I haven't changed the struts and shocks though.

Whenever I clear my homebuying hurdle and get back to car stuff, I'll be making that change and seeing what happens. I think I'll just try to find a used set of Bilstein Sports and go from there. I can appreciate the argument for HDs but I am coming from an early 911 and even with cut coils and urethane bushings, my '02 feels like a 70s Caddy by comparison. I like 'em tight and hard! The stock (lowered to non-us-spec) early 911 was like a track car compared to my '02.

Edit: Looking at the pics again, your car seems really height-balanced front to rear, looking at the gaps from the fender lip to the top of the tire. I think that's unusual for a 2002 but maybe that's what happens when the suspension is new. You could drop it the same distance on both ends, whereas many of us think we are constantly fighting against a boat-ish high front end. I have to admit I haven't been following the progress of all the '02 projects here lately so I may have missed the work you have done. I am hoping my car levels out when I eventually replace the struts and shocks...

-Andrew

1963 Vespa VNB

1972 BMW 2002 - Sold :-(

1972 Porsche 911T - Sold :-(

Yes they lower the car and you get the visual of a lowered car. But your handling will suffer severely.

Get shorter springs instead. Most of them are stiffer too.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I probably would not cut springs on a really nice car.

But of all the things I have done so far, it was one of the most dramatic improvements. It made as much of a difference as rebuilding the entire front end.

I know it isn't "proper" but I like it and so does Rob S - he has posted that it is one of the best "free except your time" things you can do to improve one of these cars.

1963 Vespa VNB

Yeah, I think for your car, you can try the cuts and plan for the good stuff. You can always give your cut springs to a friend with a $1k daily driver.

I think cutting was an awesome thing to do for my car, but I also think Pierre is right, if you are in a position to buy good short springs for a nice car.

Your car does look great! I think with or without the front spoiler, either way is nice.

1963 Vespa VNB