mike

Looking for some good PO (previous owner) stories...

33 posts / 2567 viewsLast Reply

I'm finishing up a column on all the dumb, dangerous and just plain strange things POs have done to mine and friends' cars...need a couple of more good ones. Please post for edification and amusement of all and I'll use as many as I can in my column. Based on what I found in some of my cars, I'm sure there are some real zingers out there...

TIA

mike

Lamp cord and tape. I've even found lamp cord run in a car and only one of the two wires being used with masking tape used on the connections and that was to a non fused fuel pump to the ignition switch.

Once, my friend Jeff was taking apart an Alfa motor and when he got to the oil pan (car was a runner just tired) found a Snap On 14mm wrench! They don't even use 14mm on Alfas.

Big fuel filter on the Brake booster hose.

Once I landed at this little airport in Fl. I asked to borrow the "curtesy car" They said sure. it's out front, Plymouth Volari. Keys? Don't need any, just turn the ignition switch. We went to lunch and when we went to restart the car, no go. I opened the hood and looked at the battery. The negative cable was a coat hanger that was wrapped around the neg post and then wedged under some washers on the fender. The positive was a bare cable, all corroded and held on with the cheapest pare of small vise grips you ever saw. There were burn marks on the hood from when they hit since the battery wasn't bolted down. I wiggled the positive and it started right up.

John

AFTER MARKET SUNROOF! NON-UV even! that thing is like a magnifying glass and I the ant. what kind of bonehead cuts the roof of an antique auto to put in a sunroof? i have had thoughts of putting on a donor someday. i still love my 02 though.

AFTER MARKET SUNROOF! NON-UV even! that thing is like a magnifying glass and I the ant. what kind of bonehead cuts the roof of an antique auto to put in a sunroof? i have had thoughts of putting on a donor someday. i still love my 02 though.

That's why I did a roof clip on my car.

DSC01265.jpg

John

Hi, Mike -- I assume you already have a beer-can body work story? Also, shocks were upside down.

At some point or another, the PO of my '75 either had the engine removed, or it was stolen (oddly enough, the engine in my dad's '74 was stolen while in its PO's possesion as well) I'm not sure what motivated this, but both harnesses at the firewall were chopped in half.

When I got around to removing the wiring harness a little while ago, I found that replacement wires has been spliced into the chopped harness, by twisting the wires together and then wrapping the bare wire with a band-aid!

I'm not sure if that's clear enough... close to 50 wires were now being held together by 50 BAND-AIDS!

Working in a garage though, you see all kinds of things like that. Once, i met a guy who owned a '95 Mitsubishi Eclipse. He had a 12' pet Boa Constrictor, that was in the car one day, and decided to venture into the quarterpanel. It got stuck there, and died.

The body shop told him they needed to cut the quarter off to get the dead snake out. He balked at the price, and lived with the smell of rotting snake in his car... bringing it to us about 4 months later to have an alarm installed....

I thought the smell was a good enough theft deterrent, myself.

I bought a 74 02 with 40 DCOE's, # 3 cylinder would only fire at about 4000 rpm and up, it just puked fuel, enough to spray out the exhaust at times. When I tore the carbs down, I found the spring clip for the main venturi was broken off, the PO had shimmed the venturi into the carb body with a piece of a Labatts Blue can.

When the heater fan on my 02's old body stopped working, the PO was too lazy to remove the heater core so he installed a fan from "some VW" as he put it (seemed proud of his work when I bought the car) in the space between the firewall and the cowl, ducted it over to the heater fan so it would blow in AND CUT A 3" HOLE IN THE FIREWALL to draw in air. From the engine comparment. On a nasty smoking engine that vented the crankcase blowby directly into the engine comparment.

He also wired it to a separate on/off switch by the steering column. Pulling the heater box isn't all that fun, but I don't think it is much harder than all the work he did.

Guest Anonymous

I bought a '76 (planning to part it out)that had been hit hard over the right rear fender. but my older son talked me into fixing it well enough that he could drive it. I finally pulled the tranny to check out a wierd sound and found that a po had tried to used a 4 spring clutch from a VW bug in the 2002. all the springs were broken, the flywheel and pressure plate were all scarred up from metal spring fragments. well, you get the picture!

when I bought my 2002 the trunk was full of what the PO said was 2002 parts. I got down to the bottom and there was a gym bag with a suspicious "L" shaped lump wrapped in towel. It turned out to be just a BB gun, but one of those ones that looks just like 1911 .45. I almost had a heart attack. I guess thats what I get for buying cars in Compton.

I bought an MGB that PO said had had the carb just rebuilt, and all it needed was a battery and starter. when I wouldn't start, I pulled the plugs to run a compression test, and when it was cranked, 3 cylinders full of gas pumped out directly into my eyes. Turned out when the carb was rebuilt, a vacuum hose and the gas line had been switched into the carb, so it just poured gas directly through the carb continously. DONT SMOKE AND WORK ON CARS.

Not my car but on a buddie's '76 02 the PO duct taped the thouroughly rusted through pass side trailing arm in order to 'brace' it back into the correct position. Amazingly it actually worked..but eventually the tape failed and the wheel once again had some very large camber...To think how dangerous that was...but I'm more amazed at how strong enough duct tape on something can be.....

When I started the restortion on the little monster 6 years ago (since completed in 2002) I found several coffee cans patched with roofing tar on the floor.

All of this has since been removed and replaced with REAL metal.